No power

-

augiepaw

Reaction score
I swapped out the battery cables and lost all power to the inside. the only thing I have is hazzards. No dome light, head lights, nothing. I have checked ground and traced power. What am I over looking? Everything work up to the point of swapping the cables.

WHAT are we working on?

DOES it use factory wiring, or has it been rewired "Painless," etc?

I ASSUME the battery is in the front and not in the trunk?

Not having headlights is one of the first things that is "tapped off" of the main battery feed, so it's strange that you have hazzard flashers and nothing else.

Wiring 101

CLEAN the battery terminals and cable ends. I know they are new, clean them anyway!!

Get your test light (or meter)

Turn on the headlights.

Clip the meter to a BODY ground (NOT the engine) One place is the brake lines coming out of the master cylinder.

Put your meter on the battery post. Voltage?

If OK, put your meter on the start relay battery stud. Voltage?

If OK, re--confirm that the hazards are working, turn them on and re--measure..

Did the voltage at these two places go down? (Should not if OK)

Does "traced power" mean with your hands and eyeball? You can't see electricity. Step 1 is to get a multimeter. Always amazed how many people don't have one, when the Centric model is $6 or free w/ coupon at Harbor Freight.

A burned out ammeter will kill nearly all power. Check the power in lead to it and see if you have 12 volts there. If not, ,then backtrack until you find 12 v and fix it. Probably at the firewall connector if not the ammeter itself.

Good luck!

It was the alt. gauge. The wires into the alt. gauge was lose. Pulled the dash and got to the wires and tighted them up. Cleaned the circuit board also. I have power and dash lights too. Thanks

A good ending to this thread
Some good service advice, thank you fabo tec's

Did you mean to say "ammeter" gauge instead of alt. gauge? The dreaded ammeter gauge in old MoPars has been a real buggaboo and the source of some serious electrical problems. Many owners eliminate the ammeter gauge connection and/or convert to a voltmeter.

-
Back