No Power

-

drutledge9818

Reaction score
Pulled my 67 dart out of the garage and it died. Went to restart the car and now have no power. Checked the battery terminals and they seemed to be clean. Also tried jumping the car to see if battery was dead and got nothing. What else could just cause my car to lose all power. Any help is appreciated.

It all starts with the battery. Is it fully charged? Next make sure the connections are good- really good. Just seems to be clean isn't enough. They need to be clean & tight. What condition are the cables in? Check the bulkhead connectors. Make sure all connections are good & then post your results. We can go from there.

Start checking connections. My wife called me the other day because her 73 Dart wouldn't start, she didn't have it park....

When you say all power, does the radio work? Interior lights? If no, I would look at the battery and if a cell went bad. If it just won't start (no clicking), try starting it in neutral if it is an automatic. There is a fusible link at the junction box that could burn through in case of a short somewhere. Also a burned terminal where the main feed goes in/out could also cause an issue. Those would also kill all power.

As above..................

You need to actually CHECK things. This problem could be as simple as a bad battery cable clamp or a cable corroded internally

Need more info. What exactly does "no power" mean?

No power anywhere? No lights, no accessories?

Lights, radio, heater blower works, but no crank?

Do lights go dim when you try and crank it?

I have no lights, radio, dash does not work, and car makes no sounds when turning key. I am at work right now but will take the battery up and get it tested after work, and let you know.

Clean the heck out of the battery clamps with a legit battery post cleaner.

If you still get nothing, use a meter or test lamp and check for power at the starter relay stud to ground. If you get power there, but still have no lights, etc, feel the fuse link which runs from that stud into the bulkhead connector. You can probe the front of the connector. If you have power at the firewall side of the connector, most likely the problem is right in the connector itself

... My wife called me the other day because her 73 Dart wouldn't start, she didn't have it park....

I might have married her twin. I once probed the whole starting circuit on my 65 Newport with a multimeter, as a bunch of church members watched. I decided the NSS must be bad until I thought to look at the gear selector. My wife had driven that morning. I always find she didn't set the parking brake in our minivan, even after a friend's car rolled down our driveway recently for that reason, and my friend's truck was crinkled by his wife's neglect.

The OP's questions are very basic auto problems. Everyone needs a battery charger at home and a multimeter. Auto stores will test your battery and alternator for free, and install a new battery you buy.

-
Back