no spark please help

-

edward9egan

Reaction score
so im still not getting spark to the plugs. i looked at the distributor cap and it was burnt on the center so i bought a new cap and router. that didnt help still no spark so i changed out coils still nothing. tried changing the orange box and the voltage regulator still no spark. any ideas? the only thing i can think of is the magnetic pickup in the distributor. the engine is out of a 68 belvedere it is now in a 73 dart if that helps.

You have switched voltage (primary) to the coil? Should be coming from switch to ballast resistor, from ballast resistor to coil, check if primary voltage is present.

Edward
-At the top of the page, just under the Magenta bar, are a bunch of places you can visit. On the second line, 3rd over, is a button called Search. Press it. Up will come a menu. Type in no spark. below that box, select; search titles. Up will pop about 9 pages of threads on the subject. I bet your answer is in there.
-Now im not trying to be an a$$hole, but this question comes up almost everyday. And my typing skills are zero, so it takes me a long time, to respond.So I kinda pick and chose my thread responses carefully. Im kinda thinking other guys are doing the same thing,too. So if you just cant find your answer there, come back and say so. We are here to help. The search button ca be your friend.

You are working too hard at this. The first thing to do is isolate whether the fault is on the primary or the secondary side of the system. Primary is battery, ignition switch, ballast resistor, ignition coil primary, coil switching device, either mechanical or electronic. Secondary is ignition coil secondary, distributor rotor and cap, spark plug wires, spark plugs.

Separate the system at the ignition coil. Check for power at the coil positive with the engine cranking, and power switching on and off at the coil negative, also with the engine cranking. If you have both, the primary is okay and the fault is on the secondary side. If both of the above are not true then the fault is on the primary side.

It would be helpful if you posted what type of ignition system you have when asking for help, i.e., mechanical (points), OE electronic or aftermarket electronic. I assume you have electronic since you changed the "orange box".

take the wires off the ballast resister and jumper them together ans see if the car starts

Not to be a smart a$$, but you should read the post above yours
"Fool-proof tips to fix any NO-SPARK issue"

A no cost check is to verify the air gap is not too set too much at the pick up. Try .008".

-
Back