No spark

-

Moparbrad

You don’t know me
Reaction score
Problem is I'm not getting spark. I've installed a new coil, new ballast resistor, new aftermarket ignition switch. With the key on, the + side of the coil barely lights up my test light. Same with the ballast on one side, barley any power there. The vehicle is a 74 dodge D200 truck. I just got this truck and have been scratching my head on how to get it running! I don't have any schematics or much for electrical diagnostic tools. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you

Thank you. There is some good step by step info on there. Should be able to figure it out.

The ballast should have 12v on one end 6-8 volts or so on the other end, when the key is in RUN. The coil + is connected to the low voltage end of the ballast in RUN.

When the key is in START, you should see close to 12v at both ends of the ballast and on the coil +.

Having a voltmeter is better than the test light for this problem as you are checking for non-12v measurements. A voltmeter does not cost much and will help you on this vehicle in other ways. With better data, we can help better.

But the coil + and ballast voltage may be right based on what can be interpreted from a dimly lit test light. Does the truck try to fire at all?

Try this:
- Have the spark wire lead from the coil is disconnected from the distributor cap and placed about 1/4" from metal.
- Put the Key in run and short the coil - for a moment with a jumper to ground - and then remove this short while looking for a good spark across the 1/4' gap when you disconnect the jumper.
- Don't be holding the wire end when you disconnect it or you will get a shock!
- This will test your coil and ballast.

Problem is I'm not getting spark. I've installed a new coil, new ballast resistor, new aftermarket ignition switch. With the key on, the + side of the coil barely lights up my test light. Same with the ballast on one side, barley any power there. The vehicle is a 74 dodge D200 truck. I just got this truck and have been scratching my head on how to get it running! I don't have any schematics or much for electrical diagnostic tools. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you

How about the distributor? Bad pickup? Had that happen once.

-
Back