No spark??

-

Rob

Reaction score
I've been playing around with the Duster trying to get it running again, had it running a couple weeks ago, like crap mind you, but running none the less. Picked up another cap and roter and couldn't start it, checked the spark and nothing? Anyone have any thoughts on this, coil crapped out? Distributor? It's a 70 Duster but the /6 in it is mid 70's judging by the plugs

I've been playing around with the Duster trying to get it running again, had it running a couple weeks ago, like crap mind you, but running none the less. Picked up another cap and roter and couldn't start it, checked the spark and nothing? Anyone have any thoughts on this, coil crapped out? Distributor? It's a 70 Duster but the /6 in it is mid 70's judging by the plugs

Hey Rob, you're just going to have to start at the plugs and work your way backwards. Check the wire between the coil and distributor first then the wiring going to the distributor from the harness for breaks and continuity. Check the resistance across the ballast resistor should be around 1 ohm or there abouts. Check voltage at the coil with the key in the run position and then when the engines turning over.

Terry

Thanks for the reply Terry. Well I know there's no spark at the plugs and there isn't any coming from the coil either so I was guessing it's either the coil or the coil pickup in the distributor? Pardon my ignorance, what and where is the ballast resistor?

The balast resistor is on the firewall, typically a long rectangular thing.

Does this one have an electronic ignition or points? Stock, this car would have had points, but it may have had a Mopar electronic ignition, Pertronix Ignitor, or HEI ignition swapped in at some point (and these are just the three most popular ignition upgrades).

this is what it looks like

dcc-2444641.jpg

and this is where it is usually located

DSC01521-1-1.jpg

Thanks for the pics, I see it. It's points by the way not electronic ignition.

Oh man, you better change the points and condenser before you pull your hair out bud.
I went through this for 3 weeks, and finally got it going last weekend. I was ready to set the SOB on fire. Turned out to be a bad condenser, one that was BRAND NEW!
Good Luck.

George

Oh man, you better change the points and condenser before you pull your hair out bud.
I went through this for 3 weeks, and finally got it going last weekend. I was ready to set the SOB on fire. Turned out to be a bad condenser, one that was BRAND NEW!
Good Luck.

George

Did you have any spark at the coil before you changed the points and condensor? Weird thing is it had spark a couple weeks ago, I was trying to chase down other problems now I'm going backwards :angry7:

Something similar happened to me once. It came out that a plastic out of the points fell apart and current was going the wrong way. All it took to fix that was a piece of cardboard to prevent current going the wrong way.

Did you have any spark at the coil before you changed the points and condensor? Weird thing is it had spark a couple weeks ago, I was trying to chase down other problems now I'm going backwards :angry7:
Rob,
Yes, my car had spark. It was just too weak to light the car.
Best of Luck.

George

-
Back