No Vin Stamp?

-

chongo25

Reaction score
I found the pad on my slant 6 because I was trying to see if it is the original engine in my 72 Challenger. The flat spot on the passenger side rear of engine is blank, Does this make sense? also is there any other way to find out if this is the original engine other than that? THanks

Could be a factory replacement block, waiting for your stamp kit!

The flat spot on the passenger side rear of engine is blank,
are you sure you are looking in the correct place? Mine is passenger side towards the front.

Look for a little pad at the front passenger side of the block under the first spark plug. If there is no vin, it is a warranty replacement block.

This is the pic I took a few months back. Is there a pad below this, also what is a factory replacement? I am unclear what that means.

Basically: it means a dealer put a new/rebuilt motor in it, usually under warranty.

So why would they do that? Sorry for all the questions just trying to find out as much as I can.

This is the pic I took a few months back. Is there a pad below this, also what is a factory replacement? I am unclear what that means.

That is the number you are asking about.
The 2482047 is the last 7 digits of the VIN of the car it was installed in, from the factory

The easiest sign is the old crusty red paint. A 1972 slant would have been blue from the factory.

My big question is what color is your challenger? I used to have a 1972 slant 3 speed challenger that was petty blue (VB3). They are really really uncommon since most got turned into small blocks. If it is the same car it had the original engine in 2000 when we sold it, but I ran across someone that bought the same car with a blown engine about 8 years ago. Last I heard the car had made it from central illinois to the st loius region.

So now you can search for a factory replacement block it will be blank in the same spot.
Then use your stamping kit.

So now you can search for a factory replacement block it will be blank in the same spot.
Then use your stamping kit.

If you are wanting to commit fraud it is alot easier to just mill the block face and then you don't have any vin numbers. Of course you want the same style of block with the correct number of core plugs and proper amount of ribbing.

The easiest sign is the old crusty red paint. A 1972 slant would have been blue from the factory.

My big question is what color is your challenger? I used to have a 1972 slant 3 speed challenger that was petty blue (VB3). They are really really uncommon since most got turned into small blocks. If it is the same car it had the original engine in 2000 when we sold it, but I ran across someone that bought the same car with a blown engine about 8 years ago. Last I heard the car had made it from central illinois to the st loius region.

The color is what i believe to be TOP Banana. I bought it in Northern California earlier this year.

I find it interesting that someone would have replaced the engine with a slant 6. I am going to keep it a slant 6 just because I hear it is not common to see around, this i the first E Body I have seen with a slant 6, was really surprised when I was offered to buy the car that it had a slant 6 in it. Pretty cool to me either way for me.

I'm not up on my slant stuff but I don't think that is the vin.

I think that stamp is

PT: Assembly Plant
225: Engine Size
R: Regular Fuel
2482: Assembly date on the Mopar 10,000 day calendar (Day 2482 is Tuesday, May 14, 1968 )
047: 47th assembled that day.

Meaning, someone put a used (or rebuilt), 1968, 225 in it at one time.

What about the casting number on thw opposite side? I looked it up and thought I read it was 1971-72. Idk

Posted via Topify using Android

-
Back