Noise from distibutor

-

bryceliving

Reaction score
This is driving me crazy!!! 1973 Plymouth Scamp 318...

When I turn the key on, I get a buzzing, constant tone from the engine compartment... I used a chunk of garden hose and as far as I can tell, the noise is coming from the vacuum advance on the side of the distributor.... There shouldn't be noise coming from there should there? Car starts and runs fine, and can't hear the buzzing/humming after I start the motor (could be the flowmasters hiding it though)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

well if it bugs you that much you can pick up a new vacuum advance replace it and see if the noise stops if not then you have another problem I would start there

Turn your key on so you hear the noise and then unplug your distributor harness.
Betcha it's a reluctor vibrating.
Turning the ignition on wouldn't have anything to do with the vacuum advance.
If anything the magnetic field of the reluctor is making the vac advance linkage buzz.

As above, and.........

Check the reluctor / pickup for physical strike damage, or debri

IF mounted with one of the coil bolts is a white ceramic rectangle electric choke assist controller. Its a piece of crap. Unplug its red connector and forget it.

Awesome, thanks for giving me somewhere to start... Just had never heard of a distributor/advance buzzing...

IF mounted with one of the coil bolts is a white ceramic rectangle electric choke assist controller. Its a piece of crap. Unplug its red connector and forget it.

I have those on my '73 and '74 and they work fine. What's supposed to be wrong with it? All it does is keep the electric choke heater on longer when it's warm out so that the choke comes off quicker.

I have those on my '73 and '74 and they work fine. What's supposed to be wrong with it? All it does is keep the electric choke heater on longer when it's warm out so that the choke comes off quicker.

I was assuming that is where the buzz was. If you ever look inside one of those choke controllers you'll see whats wrong with it and why it can buzz.
A pair of moving contacts similar to their inst' voltage limiter except its outdoors and has no weather seal. Lots of rusty, crusty, and green patina inside most of those today.
Then there are also NOX valves on the right side of firewall of a 73. I've heard one of those buzz too.
If all of this junk is still working fine... fine. If it goes bad, disconnect it. It was never really required anyway.

Turn your key on so you hear the noise and then unplug your distributor harness.
Betcha it's a reluctor vibrating.
Turning the ignition on wouldn't have anything to do with the vacuum advance.
If anything the magnetic field of the reluctor is making the vac advance linkage buzz.

I turned the key on,,,, pulled the coil wire, and the noise got louder out of the cap.... In the middle of harvest, so didn't have time to pull the cap... What exactly am I looking for when I get to that point? Thanks.

-
Back