Noise with clutch pedal down

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
I recently bought a 67 Dart that had been sitting around for about a year and when I started driving it around my dad and I noticed there was a pretty nasty grinding noise and pedal vibration when the clutch was pressed down. We decided it was the throwout bearing and I replaced it probably less than 100 miles ago. However, after a recent highway trip (the first the car has seen in a long time I imagine), when I clutched in after getting off the highway there was a similar nasty noise. It wasn't quite as "grindy" as before, but it only happens when the clutch is in, so I'm not sure what else it could be but a throwout. Could a brand new throwout already be bad? I haven't been hard on the clutch at all, just normal town driving. Is there anything else that would make noise with the clutch pedal pressed in?

With the quailty of parts now-a-days it wouldn't surprise me at all if the new one went bad.

Chuck

*sigh* oh well, looks like I need a new clutch to go with it anyway. Hopefully there's at least a warranty on the stupid thing.

You boys are right about the quality of bearings, beware! Don't buy bearings from Kragen's. Pay a little more, shop around, I think Timkin's are still about the best.

I dont think I would go for a warrenty replacement clutch kit. If the disc and pressure plate wre good , I'd poke a premium quality throw out bearing in there.
Make sure to adjust it right so it doesn't spin the bearing all the time. That's what shortens their life.
Good luck

Well, a while back I took the whole trans out again and had a good look at it to see what was up. The clutch looked like it was pretty much brand new, but I think the pressure plate and flywheel were still old units. The flywheel looked okay, but the pressure plate and clutch looked like it might have gotten a little toasty at one point. Never did see anything wrong with anything. No grooves, throwout looked good and spun fine. Found out the input shaft is pretty bad, really need to do a rebuild or bearing at some point. The pilot bushing was also pretty dry, so I put some grease in it and put it back together for now. The noise went away, so I'm assuming it may have been the loose input shaft grinding around in the pilot bushing.

-
Back