Noisy Speedometer

-

jerkyboy

Reaction score
Any one experience a noisy speedo? Mine is noisy and visibly shakes. Is this normal for my year?

At the very least you should probably take the cable out & lubricate it, & make sure the fittings at both ends are secure.

I have found crap stuck in between the magnet and the drive mechanism inside the speedo causing erratic noisy operation as well. Little bits of metal were inside mine ! After cleaning it worked perfectly.

Try some powdered graphite in the speedo. Put it down the hole where the cable plugs into the rear of the speedometer. It really helped mine a lot. Also lube the cable too as hypermite suggested.

Try some powdered graphite in the speedo. Put it down the hole where the cable plugs into the rear of the speedometer. It really helped mine a lot. Also lube the cable too as hypermite suggested.
I had a 70 Swinger with the speedo that would bounce. I pulled the cluster out then took off the cable, shot some graphite in there, actually a lot of it, then put it all back together. That cured my problem, and this was back in the 80's. Hope it works for you.

Mine bounces too...like crazy upon take off and then it steadies around 45 mph. Is it relatively easy to pull the cluster out?

Also, what type of lube should I use on the cable? Just curious but I thought that I read some where that you shouldn't lubricate cables because dust and dirt will stick to the lubricant.

Mine made noise and bounced everyday for over a year.....then the cable finally broke.

Replaced the cable and haven't had a problem since.

Mine bounces too...like crazy upon take off and then it steadies around 45 mph. Is it relatively easy to pull the cluster out?

Also, what type of lube should I use on the cable? Just curious but I thought that I read some where that you shouldn't lubricate cables because the lubricant dust and dirt will stick to the lubricant.

Use graphite to lube cables

It seems like they all end up doing that eventually. Hopefully you can lubricate it before it goes out completely.

You can get liquid graphite in like a 2 oz. bottle. I've used that with limited results. The best fix I've ever used though is WD-40. It will penetrate all the way through the length of the cable housing and refresh the factory graphite lube.

You can get liquid graphite in like a 2 oz. bottle. I've used that with limited results. The best fix I've ever used though is WD-40. It will penetrate all the way through the length of the cable housing and refresh the factory graphite lube.

Did you use WD-40 for your speedo cable?

Has anyone tried Anti-Sieze? The silver stuff that comes in a jar.....we use it all the time in the rust belt. (for bolts, brakes etc)
I was going to try it soon on my motorcycle cables.

Both, the liquid graphite followed by the WD-40 to get it to drain down.

-
Back