Non-Mopar Mechanical Issue / Question?

-

JTG

Reaction score
Some help please and thank you, vehicle starts perfectly fine, runs for a few seconds and dies, if you keep your foot on the accelerator it will stay running no problem, but once you remove your foot it dies. Vehicle is a 2002 Suzuki XL7 4X4 Auto 6cyl EFI with 197000kms I've owned this vehicle since new. Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

Could be throttle position sensor. Have you cleaned the airhorn/butterfly area ?
Nasty build up there blocks idle air flow.

I would say an AIC Motor. The1st thing I would do is scrub the throttle body. I'd say there is carbon gunked up and not allowing enough air to pass into the t/b.
A toothbrush and can of brake clean will set up right up. If that doesn't work, then you'll need a AIC motor.

Thanks redfish and gunbunny, spraying the crap out of every component around and on the throttle body with WD40 eliminated the problem, car now idles as it should.

Sounds like you had some carbon for sure.
buy a can of brake cleaner and use a old toothbrush and scrub that throttle body out but good. It'll happen again soon if you don't.

Ditto on the IAC (Inlet Air Control) servo-valve. It controls the idle speed, by controlling the idle air. The throttle plate closes tight and the IAC bypasses air around the throttle. Common problem. I would remove it and clean the seat and pintle well. May not even need a new gasket.

-
Back