non mopar, what do you think my truck will run?

-

72 slant 6 swinger

Reaction score
not a mopar, but i figured i would do this for fun, dads racing his car this weekend, so i figured i would join the fun since my plymouth isn't done yet. i have a 2000 reg. cab. sb, 2wd silverado, it has a 4.8L v8 auto trans, the mods: k&n cold air intake, underdrive pulley/ lighter harmonic balancer, pacesetter 1 3/4 longtubes, 3in. off road y pipe, no converters, 3in.system into a 2 1/2 flowmaster muffler and tail pipes, corvette servo in trans, (shade tree shift kit LOL). rest of truck is all stock, running stock 3.42 open rear.

what do you guys think it will do in the 1/8th mile? if it would break into the 9's i'll be happy. i weighed a bunch of **** in it today that i will be taking off on race day, i'm trying to get all i can get, reado on, and you will find out why lol... i took out, spare tire, jack/tools, misc. stuff in there i don't need, 1 truck speaker box with 10 in. sub, and the tail gate...all this added up to a little over 150lb!. i already have a fiberglass roll pan, so i figure with all the other stuff removed it should be about 200lbs lighter than a regular silverado. i'm gonna run it a few times, then put all the stuff back in it and see what a difference it made, i'm figuring about a tenth or so.

HOWEVER, there is a little more riding on this than fun. 15 years ago, my dad had 93 dakota 3.9 v6 5 speed that was a legit 350 killer with nothing more than a mopar computer, 3.55 OPEN rear, and his home made ram air setup. literally smoking the tire thru 1st and having to short shift 2nd to get it to calm down, he ran a 10.15 like it was nuthing. it was a easy 9.80's machine with a posi and good tires.on the street i saw him give several mustangs (of the day) a run for their money, and he smoked all kinds of built up 350ss trucks.

so all this adds up to some bragging rights lol. hes been riding me all week about wether or not my loud v8 can beat his old v6 bare bones street strip dakota.. if i can't at least break into the 9's i'm goin be sick.... literally lol.

alright lets here those answers, i'll post the results in afew days. ya never know, it could be surprising, then again it might be disapointing too lol

I'll take a wild guess, not knowing how tall you rear tires are, and say 9.85-9.90. Used some qtr. mile formulas with hp and weight, then converted to 1/8th mile. If your close to peak rpm at the stripe, which i assume will be in 2nd gear, and you don't spin too bad, you may get a little more out of it........Best thing is be safe and have fun:D.

I'm guessing it will run second behind a Mopar? Just teasing. My buddy had a 2000 Silverado and he dropped in a 6.0 Escalade motor, tuned up tranny and exhaust. That truck was scary quick. Not sure what yours will do, but speed isn't as important as the fun you have driving it down the track. Have fun!

I'll take a wild guess, not knowing how tall you rear tires are, and say 9.85-9.90. Used some qtr. mile formulas with hp and weight, then converted to 1/8th mile. If your close to peak rpm at the stripe, which i assume will be in 2nd gear, and you don't spin too bad, you may get a little more out of it........Best thing is be safe and have fun:D.

thanks, i hope i don't spin too bad, i just put 4 new sensa trac shocks on it, and it made a lot of difference in ride/launch, its a lot softer. then again, i forgot to mention that this truck has a "looser" converter than normal.its just a "one of a kind i guess" i can stop and build it up to 1800 rpm before it starts to move lol. i found that out when playin on the street once, i can build it up to about 1500 punch it and after a few feet of spining it will hit 6k and shift into second, it about half bogs when it hits second while burning the tires, it goes from 6k to about 4k and burns it about 2 truck lenghts after the shift..

so yeah, i hope to have a 3.73 posi in there this winter, i'm tired of getting stuck everywhere, peppy v8 and single trac. sucks lol. tires are 27 in. tall, hey since we are on the subject of formulas, would you happen to know how to calculate tire size to gear ratio? what i mean is i don't know how tall of a tire gear ratio's are based on, or how much 1in. taller or shorter will affect your true ratio. my truck used to have 29 in. tall all season radials, i went with a regular 2wd tire that is 27 in. tall. noticeable difference, truck felt a lil snappier out of the hole. i'm guessing the shorter tire put it closer to a true 3.42.

I would think mid to high 9's.

nice dart btw, that 318 sounds good, a nice cruiser, how do you like the HE268 with that setup? i looked for your video on it for about a week, i was gonna show my dad how good it sounded, then i finally found it lol.

i hope so, if it does run mid 9's i'll definitely beat up on the mustang boys just for the hell of it lol. thats about all the stockish mustangs run around here, but theres always one in the crowd thats just a bit faster than you..

thanks, i hope i don't spin too bad, i just put 4 new sensa trac shocks on it, and it made a lot of difference in ride/launch, its a lot softer. then again, i forgot to mention that this truck has a "looser" converter than normal.its just a "one of a kind i guess" i can stop and build it up to 1800 rpm before it starts to move lol. i found that out when playin on the street once, i can build it up to about 1500 punch it and after a few feet of spining it will hit 6k and shift into second, it about half bogs when it hits second while burning the tires, it goes from 6k to about 4k and burns it about 2 truck lenghts after the shift..

so yeah, i hope to have a 3.73 posi in there this winter, i'm tired of getting stuck everywhere, peppy v8 and single trac. sucks lol. tires are 27 in. tall, hey since we are on the subject of formulas, would you happen to know how to calculate tire size to gear ratio? what i mean is i don't know how tall of a tire gear ratio's are based on, or how much 1in. taller or shorter will affect your true ratio. my truck used to have 29 in. tall all season radials, i went with a regular 2wd tire that is 27 in. tall. noticeable difference, truck felt a lil snappier out of the hole. i'm guessing the shorter tire put it closer to a true 3.42.

Looks like you may have to "walk it" a little out of the hole if your getting that kind of tire spin. One piece of advice, when you get ready to run, watch the car/truck in front of you and line up it there same tracks. Especially if the're running slicks, they'll leave a little fresh, warm rubber for you. Scroll down on this link and there's a tire size/gear calculator you can play with. Will give you a little better idea what your dealing with.

http://www.eldemoniorojo.com/calculator.htm

here is a pic of it all shined up last year at kanawha valley dragway. it wasn't always this nice its a reconstructed vehicle, my dad bought it totaled and i traded him my lil 98 4 banger s10 for it. we put on a fender, bumper, grill and head light, and i drove it beat up for awhile. he got around to painting it for me a couple years ago. both bedsides were caved in where somebody kicked them, and i didn't have the $1,000 for a good junkyard bed, so he pulled it out and loaded it up with rage gold bondo, theres about a gallon in there lol but you can't tell it, theres some minor sand scratches coming back thru on it tho. he considered it a quickie job, and i didn't have alot of cash we used cheaper dimensions paint and clear ( he usually uses ppg, or sherman williams ultra 7000). it turned out great. he trimmed the center of the hood in black, and put on chevelle "cowl induction" emblems for a classic hotrod look.

Attachments

• my truck.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 134
Looks like you may have to "walk it" a little out of the hole if your getting that kind of tire spin. One piece of advice, when you get ready to run, watch the car/truck in front of you and line up it there same tracks. Especially if the're running slicks, they'll leave a little fresh, warm rubber for you. Scroll down on this link and there's a tire size/gear calculator you can play with. Will give you a little better idea what your dealing with.

http://www.eldemoniorojo.com/calculator.htm

thanks alot, will do. i'm hoping it doesn't spin as hard on the track, what about tire pressue, will it make any difference in a regular car tire? i've never been on the track with street tires before, so i don't know what to expect. everything else i've ever ran has had a set of drag radials..

Nice truck by the way:D. Looking at the pic, with that rim/tire combo i think somewhere around a soft street pressure will probably be best. I'm thinking to start in the 28 lb range. Just a though about weight removal, might want to put it in the bed near the tailgate to get the weight bias a little more toward the rear.

Nice truck by the way:D. Looking at the pic, with that rim/tire combo i think somewhere around a soft street pressure will probably be best. I'm thinking to start in the 28 lb range. Just a though about weight removal, might want to put it in the bed near the tailgate to get the weight bias a little more toward the rear.

good idea, never thought about that, i'll have all of it at the track with me so, i'll have to experiment on that. wheels are stock 17x7 2008 silverado wheels, they are steel unfortunately, i think the tires are 235/65/17, not sure tho they might be one size bigger.. truck has rear disk brakes too, so that helps a little on weight/driveability, plus i get to aggravate dad that his 08 silverado has drums on the back and mine is over 12 years old and has 4 wheel disc lol.

-
Back