Noob Question about tools...

-

Jeremiah1981

Master Shake in Training
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a long story and a question...

When I was a kid, my father and his Father and Uncle owned a VW shop in NE Portland, Or. But they worked on more than VW's. He worked on Mustangs and built Harley's. But his favorite were VW's and he had built a bug he raced at the Portland International raceway and My Mother drove a VW bus he built from the ground up. When My Grandpa passed away they closed the shop, and the tools went into a closet. And my Dad used them to work on the family cars, but they pretty much stayed in a closet. When he passed away my brothers and I inherited them.
My brothers and I all moved into this house that had a garage, but the garage door was broken, so we hid the tools as best we could. Well, when my brother was working on his Honda prelude, he went to get to the tools, they were all gone, the rolling box and everything, someone just walked off with. The box was later found at the landlord's house (the landlord happened to be my friends dad) But he said the tools were missing when he took the box, but no one believed him (we had 5 roommates, it was a big house, and the landlords were kind of shady with us)
To this day, I don't really even remember what happened to the toolbox, I think they kept it because we left a couple cars there when we moved that we were trying to sell that eventually were stolen. (a nice 1980 Cadillac coupe deville and a POS 1990 Geo Storm that needed a clutch) I think the landlords sold them, they said they were towed, so we just call them stolen.
I said all of that to vent a little, I haven't really talked about it that much, and those tools were all that we had left that was our dad's. It's sad and frustrating. But as I begin my own collection over again, I am just wondering what I will need? I know screwdrivers and ratchets and wrenches, but what sizes and what else? I hope I have asked this clear enough. I am at work, and it's not easy talking about loosing those tools, because I feel betrayed and saddened because the loss of my fathers stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the help, back to work.

Have a great day
-Jeremiah

i do body wrk fore a local shop and i got thousands of dollars in tools and i still dont got enough to be honest you proly will never have all the tools u need lol

i do body wrk fore a local shop and i got thousands of dollars in tools and i still dont got enough to be honest you proly will never have all the tools u need lol

Yeah, your right, I am just looking for a starting point. lol

if you go to sears i think thay have a starter kit that should get you started like the man in post 2 said i dont think your ever have evry thing.i have a5ft. tall snap on full and two cabnets and i still buy somthing wen i go some place that has tools.good luck i know what its like.if i had all that was stolen lost or misplacest id have to buy another big box.:clock:

Sorry to hear about this. I dont know about the Sears near you but ours is having a sale, 263 piece Craftsman mechanics set for like 120 dollars, and 283 piece for like 170 bucks and smaller sets for cheaper 99$ etc. You can always check different sites for best prices on sets, or someone may have a collection for cheap. Just my 2cents, good luck bud.

Alex

I agree with the Sears option, to get started. If you are using the tools at home they should work out for most everything. You can later add more, better or cheaper tools to fit your needs. I try to stick with American made stuff but a cheap alternative is Harbor Freight Tools. They have some pretty good deals on tools that you may only ever use once or twice.

Tools! Tools! Is there such a thing as enough? 8 roll around w/top boxes, 15 carry boxes, cabinets, peg boards, an entire seperate room, HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!! I'm addicted to tools! Ok, maybe I'm fibbing about the tool addiction, NOT! I happen to get lucky at auctions every now and then, buy a lot set, always loaded with various implements of destruction/repair. I have even found original model A & T tools. All kinds of good life time garuntee stuff.

The good thing about Sears (Craftsman) tools is that they will replace them if something breaks. I took them a crappy old ratchet I've had for twenty-plus years that finally quit working. Got a brand new one - no questions asked. Others may have the same replacement policy, I just know about Sears.

Jerry

My first set of tools was Sears Craftsman. The reasoning was a no-brainer. I did not know where I would end up in the country, but Sears stores were everywhere and they had a free replacement deal with their hand tools.

Besides, to buy the tools, Sears gave me my first credit card. I still have the card, but it does not have a magnetic strip and none of their card machines take them anymore. I should have it bronzed.

My first box and tools came from Sears. The mill company would order through the supply room, get a good discount, and do payroll deduction.
Crapman tools though. All those pretty chromed 12 point sockets cracked like eggs.
I find the best buys at the flea market. Impact grade sockets, used end wrenches with brand names like Armstrong can't be beat.
If you do buy a tool box on wheels buy the cheapest POS out there. Fill it with Crapman tools. If someone rollls it away, no real harm done.
Put your good tools somewhere else. Even peg boards will slow down a thief.
Good luck.
By the way... 6 point impact sockets cost less that the chrome plated eggs :)

-
Back