Normal to be able to spin valve springs by hand ?

-

Gtsjosh

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a 69 gts with a 340 in it. It has rpm breakup at 4500 rpm where it feels like it’s hitting a rev limiter. I was looking at some things today and pulled a valve cover to take a look at the springs. Is it normal to be able to spin valve springs by hand with a rag ? The compressed springs I can’t spin but the non compressed springs spin fairly easy. I’m not seeing anything broken. Thanks.

Since you didn't say, let's assume you're dealing with stock components, and an unrebuilt (original) engine with xxxxxx miles on it...
The FSM lists your springs as 80-90 lbs. at a 1-11/16" installed height.
If yours are loose enough to spin by hand, you obviously don't have 80-90 lbs. pressure on them.
This could be due to several things:
1.) Soft springs. They're 53 years old.
2.) Sunken valves. As the valves/seats wear, the valve sinks deeper into the head, increasing the installed height of the springs and reducing their seat pressure.
3.) During a previous rebuild, the spring seats may have been cut/deepened to accommodate non-stock springs and/or valves, so now the stock-type valve springs are too loose.
4.) The valve seats were over- ground during a previous rebuild, again sinking the valves too deep into their seats.
So, what to do? Put a straightedge across the valve tips- you'll have to remove the rockers to do this. With the straightedge in place, are all the valve tips even? If some are noticeably higher than others, you probably have sunken valves- time to have the heads rebuilt.
If they're all even, you could still have sunken valves, so it's time to measure the installed height. If it's over 1-11/16", You may be able to get away with installing the correct thickness shims under the springs to achieve your correct installed height, and thereby regain your spring pressure. This, however, does not address the reason your valves are sunken to begin with (probably bad or overcut seats).
If your installed height is correct and there is still insufficient pressure in your springs, then the springs have gone soft. Time for new springs.
My guess is that you'll have to pull the heads and have them gone through.
Edit: First I would shim the springs if needed (if the valve stems are all even), then run a wet compression test to determine the condition of the seats.

Last edited:
Could be weak springs . How old are the heads? Were the ever rebuilt? Its hard to say depending on your strength is how weak they are . There are some things my old hands can't do that my younger hands would do very easy.

Thanks guys. I don’t really have any history on engine or heads as far as rebuild. Seems to run good at idle and up to 4500 rpm. I’ll start digging into it more. Car is numbers matching and has 70k miles. It seems everything is stock except for an Edelbrock carb and an electronic ignition setup similar to this
Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit, Hi-Po ECU

You should never be able to spin the valve springs by hand. The best advise to follow would be to pull the heads and take them to a reputable machine shop and they will diagnose and fix the issue for you.

Maybe sunken exhaust valves..

You had me scratching my head, so I went out and checked a fresh set of 906's with factory spring rate. guess what I could spin the spring with a good grip and some muscle.
They don't spin freely, but they do move.

As someone whose job is working on cylinder heads every day.....since 1990.....
I can tell you it’s not that hard to rotate stock springs by hand on most heads.

You’d have to test the springs at their actual installed height to determine if they are in fact out of spec.

As mentioned, there could easily be some seat recession going on which will reduce the spring load.
This is typically most prevalent on the exhaust.
Pulling the rockers and putting a straight edge across the valve tips should help tell you if there are issues in that regard.

You could always pull a couple of intake and exhaust springs and test them against a new one of the same type.

I take a light hammer and tap the valve stem (rockers off) enough to just open the valve and you can hear the tone the springs make. They should all sound about the same. Hit it too hard and the keepers might come off.

Electronic ignition? Those can be fussy about low voltage. Factory FZR600 wouldn't rev past 4-5k, replaced battery and 10k no problem.

Hi everyone. I have a 69 gts with a 340 in it. It has rpm breakup at 4500 rpm where it feels like it’s hitting a rev limiter. I was looking at some things today and pulled a valve cover to take a look at the springs. Is it normal to be able to spin valve springs by hand with a rag ? The compressed springs I can’t spin but the non compressed springs spin fairly easy. I’m not seeing anything broken. Thanks.
At stock 90 lbs..yes.
If the springs are worn 'and I dont know what cam you have'..you could be light on open pressure. ..hence the breakup at 4500. Could be tune too.

I'd like to see with a stock 340 cam about 100-105lbs seat and about 240-260lbs open.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I’ve been out of town visiting family so I’ve been absent. Got home today and cleaned all the grounds/ terminals , sanded and cleaned everything , installed an ecu from fbo, replaced the coil and bypassed the ballast resistor. It’s running great now and the miss at 4500rpm is gone.

-
Back