Nostalgia Time

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
There was some reminiscing about fire burnout's in another post and it got me thinking. I remember as a kid growing up in Brooklyn driving my family crazy with all the car magazines and model cars and Hot Wheels.... everything was CARS. I also remember seeing Doctors endorsing cigarettes and wearing a seat belt was unheard of by anyone other than a stunt driver. I figured I'd post some random pictures of nostalgia......just to take us old guys back a bit. Simpler times. Not neccessarily better, but simpler.

Let's look back at what it was like to be innovators!!!!!!!!

lymouthBarracudaHEMIUnderGlass-vi.jpg

HiWagon2-vi.jpg

DisneyVacation2003105-vi.jpg

DisneyVacation2003075-vi.jpg

DisneyVacation2003091-vi.jpg

DisneyVacation2003071-vi.jpg

DisneyVacation2003073-vi.jpg

DisneyVacation2003084-vi.jpg

DisneyVacation2003086-vi.jpg

DisneyVacation2003070-vi.jpg

DisneyVacation2003106-vi.jpg

DisneyVacation2003115-vi.jpg

A special mention to the man whom RETIRED from driving this insane projectile (alive....): E.J. Potter aka The Michigan Madman. He must have had stones the size of a short-block...

DisneyVacation2003112-vi.jpg

That's a fuel injected small block under his chest. Yeeeee-HAH!

As a child we never sat in car seats. Now my children need one till they are 7 years old.

Can you imagine showing up in the tech line with anyone of those cars today?!? The Bug and the Allison powered step ladder look dangerous sitting in a museum... never mind Potter's V-8 drag bike.

Just goes to show how evolution changes things...... disgust

I saw Potter run his bike at our little 1/8th mile track in Salem,Mo. back in the early 70's. He could'nt get it shut down in time,and ended up in the woods at the end of the track. He walked away from it. Yeah,he sure earned that nickname. If I remember right,that was a fuel injected Corvette (sorry)small block he was running. It sure was fast though.

"TV" Tommy Ivo's 4 engine, 4 wheel drive dragster...

photo21.jpg

TV TOMMY IVO.jpg

nothing like a digger with an allison aircraft engine.
I bet you can find a pinch mark in the seat of every one
of those vechicles.
Their stones must make a clanking sound when they walk!

The Bug was incredible...I have seen pictures of the driver racing without a shirt...to save weight. Imagine pulling up to the line with no shirt, a cheap Bell helmet and a desire to go insanely fast driving little more than a frame with flathead engine.

So amazing....

Thanks for the memories!

OldMoparsRule!

Yeah.... Ivo's wagon. Now THERE'S a blast from the past! Where did you phoyograph it, at the Peterson Musuem?

I grew up as a Buick kid so Ivo's Buick nailhead creations were my favorite. Dad was an NHRA Tech Director in the 60's so I saw most a lot of those wheel standers and "exibition" cars, Good stuff.

I remember me and my little brother riding in the back of the family car, it was a 1963 Riviera. Didn't have seat belts from the factory. We would stand up and hang onto the back of the front seats and my dad would nail the gas and we would try and hold on. We couldn't so we would fly back and land in the seat laughing like crazy.

Good thread Fastback,

Chuck

Wow, thanks for the memories.
I remember seeing "TV" Tommy Ivo running that monster at the now closed down Baylands Raceway in Fremont Ca. Good times back then.

Wow, thanks for the memories.
I remember seeing "TV" Tommy Ivo running that monster at the now closed down Baylands Raceway in Fremont Ca. Good times back then.

Baylands was awesome! We would drive up from Santa Cruz for Speedway bikes on Thurs, Drags on Fri, and Sprint cars on Sat!!!
Slanted66

Fastback, I grew up in Queens & I'm willing to bet those photos (thanks, by the way) were taken at the N.Y. or Nassau colisseum car shows. If you REALLY want to talk nostalgia, how about "Connecting Highwa" (always a legend), S&K, B&R or Competition Speed speed shops? Cruising the World's Fair Marina, Streetracing behind JFK Airport (now JFK EXPWY), Conduit Blvd.or the fads & heavyhitters of New York (Brooklyn Heavy, "HOGAN", or Bernie Agaman, a real successful NHRA racer at the time). Most of the car fads couldn't even get by a vehicle inspection, much less NHRA tech nowadays. IMO a simpler & despite everything that was going on back then, more fun & happier time.

Hey Hemicop & Fastback! I grew up on Long Island. Did you guys ever go to Charlies Speed Barn in Bayside? Or what about Speedwin in Mineola? Many Sundays spent at New York National Speedway too.

I used to have a New York National Speedway T-Shirt as a kid!
Red/white and blue with stars, and a funny car doing a burnout on the front.
Man, I miss those days at Connecticut Dragway. Closed in 1985.

George

As a child we never sat in car seats. Now my children need one till they are 7 years old.

When I saw your reply to the post, it made me think back to the fifties and sixties when I was a kid. We had car seats. They were built like inexpensive high chair seats and had steering wheels with horn buttons that sounded like squeaky toys. They had two hooks on the back that went over the seat. I wish I had a picture. I could just see the expression on a cops face if someone got pulled over using one of those today. Happy New Year Everyone!

As a VERY YOUNG kid, I remember laying down at night on the package tray of my parents HUDSON HORNET and looking at all the stars in the sky on the drive from LA to Vegas. No freeways, two-lane road all the way and went right through Baker (now an offramp off Interstate 15).
Ya' know, I just might think they were better times. Both simpler and better.
Also miss all the legendary dragstrips in the LA area from the late 60's and early '70's: OCIR, Lions, Irwindale -- all gone now. Not to mention their predecessors: Fontana, Colton, etc.

Got my first set of wheels & tires at Charlies! My H.S. was right down the road from there! I think Charlie's was one of Scott Shafiroff's 1st sponsors. Speedwin was great too! Joe Jill's now in Calif. & I remember the seemingly looooong trek to N.Y Nat'l on the L.I.E. hoping to catch a glimpse of some of the Pros towing out for a match-race --- especially in late winter & freezing my buns off!
P.S.-- I STILL have a Charlie's Speed Shop sticker on my toolbox!

-
Back