Not A-body, but....

-

lugnut1962

Banned
Reaction score
So I wired a plug to my truck...to tow my trailer. All the lights work fine....until... When I turn the lights on, on the truck, the right tail and brake light on the trailer quite working. No lights on the truck lights perfect on the trailer. Lights on on the truck and not so good with the trailer. DANG! A ground wire?

Anytime lights do goofy things, you check three things, the ground, the ground, and the ground. Assuming all the wires are hooked properly, its a ground issue

It might help to know what truck this is.

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max......don't laugh....76k original miles and in mint condition...AND I PAID CASH!

.. When I turn the lights on, on the truck, the right tail and brake light on the trailer quite working. No lights on the truck lights perfect on the trailer. Lights on on the truck and not so good with the trailer.

Could you re-write so it makes sense? I don't follow your words or grammar.
Doesn't
"brake light on the trailer quit (sp) working"
conflict with
"lights perfect on the trailer"
which is opposite of
"not so good with the trailer"

2 out of 3 sounds like the problem is that the trailer lights aren't working right.

I agree with a likely ground problem. What connector are you using? The common 4-wire connectors usually don't extend the ground wire (white, I recall). They expect the ground to carry thru the hitch, which doesn't always work. I add a separate ground wire.

Be nice if you were a bit more clear. But as mentioned you probably have a ground issue. Every trailer I have had never had a ground wire, they are grounded thru the ball. A bit of corrosion, perhaps with some oil mixed in and you have goofy *** troubles. Run a ground thru the trailer pig tail on your truck. Ad this wire to the pig tail on the trailer. And then make sure that the wires you just added are connected to bare metal. White is ground on most trailer harness's. For some reason most manufactures don't bother hooking it up.

Sorry I was so unclear.....and poorly written, and my grammer sucks. I was to busy working when I was young to go to "skool". Cause that's how I fed myself. And when I wrote that, I was in a hurry to get ready for work.
I'll try to avoid writing anything else here or asking any questions until I get my "rocket surgery" and "brain scientist" degree.

No reason to be a smart ***.......you asked for help and your question needed to be deciphered before a bit......

Does the import have separate bulbs for signal and stop? Does the trailer have one bulb for both? If so the systems are different and you buy an adapter to make them compatible.

-
Back