Not a good week for me. Could use some prayers.

-
Sorry to hear that Rob. I might be next on the list. When I was young I had wild swings, "hypoglycemic." Mom's side of my family has a history. last few years, I've been bangin towards the high end. I just had the last of my teeth pulled, and waiting for things to heal (which is goin OK) so I can get some choppers. Meantime, I'm sure my diet could use some improvement.

You can do a LOT to control this if you watch your activity and diet. Easier said than done LOL

Rob,
Judy and I will pray for you and Kitty. Please stay healthy we enjoy your sharp wit too much. Dan

Diebeties sucks.Say good bye to ice cream,beer,mixed drinks,anything with sugar or turns into sugar.

Not so fast.

EVERYTHING turns into sugar. That's the only thing our bodies use as food- period.

If you can rebuild a thermo-quad, you can stave off diabetes or beat it!!!

You will learn how your body reacts to different levels of caloric intake and carbohydrate intake.

Everyone is different!.....but some basic things apply across the board.

(don't eat pizza late at night...don't eat anything late at night, don't make dinner your largest meal, etc)

Yes you can have donuts, but they are terrible for you (and everyone else)

You could have a steak instead and get better utilization of the carbs and calories.

Take the time to analyze what is happening when you eat, what time you eat (earlier than "normal" is better) what you eat, what happens after you eat, etc...

Don't be afraid to over test your glucose levels. Wal Mart test strips are less than $20 for 100 strips.

I test before each meal rather than 1-2 hours after because I feel I should be counteracting the anticipated rise rather than reacting to a spike that's already occurred.

(I'm on insulin, but it's actually better than chemicals because there's NO risk of liver damage)

I know you can deal with it.

Oh...after almost 10 years of dealing with diabetes.

I started at 12.5 A1C, and am now 6.9 (almost normal which is 6.0).

I found that red wine is the best dollar for dollar and alcohol content per carb.

As a bonus, you get all those anti-oxidants and amino acids which are great for anti-aging and memory.

I also factored in trips to the bathroom :)

3.2 beer (Miller light, Mich Ultra, etc) is OK, but you don't get as buzzed and you piss a LOT) Mich Ultra is IIRC 60 cal and Lite is 90.

8oz of decent Cab or Merlot is slightly more cal but is 13.9%

I will simply quit drinking. It's never been a problem for me like that and I am thankful. There are times I've gone a couple of years without it, so it's not a need. It's just something I enjoy.

I am sure I can bring it under control as I am pretty vegetative. I just need to get off my butt and do something. I actually have been this past week and have more plans next week.

.....and I have discussed several times with my doctor the "beer and working on old cars" diet.

Instance one was blown off.

Instance two was given a cursory acknowledgement.

Instance three was discussed in detail-

I can drink a 12 pack and do some moderate car work, say rebuilding one side of a front suspension.....and in the morning my glucose level is SUPER, like right on the money or lower.

...and I can repeat it.....just like scientific method testing.

What my doctor eventually told me is that there was basis (I think he had to do research [snicker]), and that when alcohol is introduced, the body is less particular about processing glucose and a lot of extra sugar that would normally be absorbed, is sent out with the urine.

I did find an online research paper confirming this, and more recently saw a TV ad for a medicine that simulates this.

Go figure.

Just like building a 451...it's not about doing one thing.

It's about doing a lot of little things that add up to something that's greater than the sum of the parts.

It forces you to get to know how your body operates........or die.

Big breakfasts- good.

Big dinners- bad.

Working on cars- good.

Sitting on the couch watching tv- bad.

Playing pool- good.

Playing xbox- bad.

Ribs- good (without sugary sauce).

Hamburger- bad (unless you ditch most of the bun and get something besides fries)

Just standing up burns calories.

Sitting down turns off the body's mechanism that does the burning.

Prayers lifted up for you Rob.

Exercise is great for the body and mind. It's amazing what a brisk 2 mile walk will do for the soul.

If I don't take my Lab out to walk before about 7:30 pm he is standing in front of me staring me down!

Well, that's an exaggeration even for me. I would pass out if I ever drank a 12 pack in one night. I am sure I could. I sometimes drink a pitcher with supper when Kitty and I go out, but that's about as much as I ever drink in one shot and it's not terribly often. Maybe twice a month.

I am sure we'll figure something out.

I will say that the day I was diagnosed.....

I cut out "stand alone" bread. Dinner rolls, toast, bread and butter, etc

...and switched to diet soda- cold turkey.

That helped.

Now I am at a point where an occasional yeast roll is OK, because I know how to deal with that.

I'm still on diet soda, but after almost a decade, I'm starting to favor things like Welch's 45 cal grape drink, Trop 50, and Minute Maid 15 cal Lemonade and fruit punch.

I may finally be kicking the soda habbit!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Try and cheer up. You're alive and married to a great woman.

I just started drinkin water. It's all I've had to drink for a week.

Prayers on the way Rob. I've had the problem since 1992. Went on Insulin about 8 years ago. Best thing that has happened. Couldn't control it with pills. I take 15 units of Lantus in the morning and at bed time. Before each meal I take Humalog...10 units to 20 units depending on my number when I check it. I can control it now.

Over post alert.

Can you tell I'm passionate?

Diabetes is one of the most mis-understood afflictions on the planet.

You will get it. You're a mighty tenacious individual.

Well, I guess it's our turn to return the favor Rob. Hang in there, it will be an adjustment for sure.

prayers sent. I have car buddy found out he had this bout 5 years ago, when he noticed trouble with eyesight.

he gives himself an insulin shot now, 3 times a day, reuses to check his level, occasionally goes to doc for this. just last weekend his wife told him if she scolds him about his diet, he gets mad. I said I would try to talk to him about it. he didn't get made, just had the feeling he was blowing it off.

he sleeps in till 10 unless he has trouble sleeping. no breakfast usually. not sure when he turns in a night. his eating habits suck I know. he has lost some weight which I know is good, he wants to lose some more. but I don't know what to do to get him on a correct diet and eating food at correct times of the day!!!!!!

I know this can be a terrible disease, so it must be given FULL attention!

I say this, eating and exercise are HABITS! we can all form the right healthy habits but we have to make that choice.

I will simply quit drinking. It's never been a problem for me like that and I am thankful. There are times I've gone a couple of years without it, so it's not a need. It's just something I enjoy.

I am sure I can bring it under control as I am pretty vegetative. I just need to get off my butt and do something. I actually have been this past week and have more plans next week.

RRR, I have always enjoyed your posts and advice on this forum and I have been cooking thinking about what to say. I see from the thread that you have corrective action under way and usually that will fix the problem. I just had my birthday as well and it is well past my "sell by" date. I can tell you that I asked my family for a Fitbit monitor so I could track my excersise level. My wife had been wearing one for years and makes her 10,000 steps per day with her routine. I monitor my fasting bloodwork closely and a year ago my sugar was "up a little" I scheduled a 3 month retest on the spot and moved it 7 points lower in 3 months just by watching my sugar intake and they say you cant move sugar-hmmph! Anyway, best of luck, glad to see you are taking steps-the forum needs your wit and humor to continue-possibly even better now! --------DR----------O:)

Rob diabetes runs in my family too. Maybe a Merritt thing!!! I had my AC1 checked and it was 6.0 and they said that 6.4 was considered a diabetic so I just started drinking water exercising more cut back on snacks and are 1/2 as much as I was eating. I lost 20lbs and lowered my AC1 to 5.4 so it can be done. I will pray for you to have the discipline to do it!

Prayers from sue and I Rob. Hope you're better soon.

Take care of yourself Rob. You will get used to your new lifestyle and be good as new before you know it.

I assume this is type 2 and I know several people even my older brother and it is totally manageable with your diet and exercises. Also find a good doctor that knows this condition there is one here that makes you bring your test meter to his office to make sure you follow his instructions. He has gotten people off all kinds of insulin. Just eat right and walk a lot drink a lot of water you will be fine RRR.

Treva and I will continue sending prayers out for you and Kitty RustyRR, time do make some adjustments in life for sure, I hope this gets your energy back and you pick up a spring in your step sir :glasses7:

-
Back