Not a Mopar Rookie, But WTH was a Cricket?

-

Chris Mallett

Reaction score
I found a set of tools for a Plymouth Cricket, done a search, VERY hard to find what the car really was...Can anyone help me? Are there any still alive? I will list the parts on the FS page. Link soon. Chris:glasses7:

I think it might have been an import for Plymouth, about the size of an Opel. Not sure who actually made it. I suppose you could say that Plymouth was a little ahead of the game as it came out a few years before the gas crunch of '74.
C

Cricket

cricket.jpg

There was on advertised in the For sale section in Hot Rod back in the '70s with a 340 & 8 3/4. Basically a Plymouth Colt. but I dont think they made 2 drs.

Going tommorrow to look a bunch of old mopars in a field and pull the front end from a 71 Demon. C_Stipes told me about it. He thinks there is a cricket with them. I will check it out and try and get some pics.

WOW um what were the guys in Europe thinking when they came out with the concept for that???

Just stumbled across some info on the Cricket totally by accident. Turns out it was a re-badged Hillman Avenger!

This is a quote from "allpar". Here is the link http://www.allpar.com/model/cricket.html
Have any of you Canadian guys seen a Formula S Cricket, that would be cool to go with the -67 Formula S. LOL

Mitsubishi-built Plymouth Cricket (Canada only) - Cricket Formula S

Mike Sealey wrote:
Chrysler Canada marketed a badge-engineered Colt as a Plymouth Cricket after they stopped bringing the Avenger-based (UK) Cricket over. (This was the 2nd generation Colt with dual headlights rather than quads, possibly best remembered in this country in its cute 2-door hardtop version. An interesting note is that the Plymouth equivalent to the Colt GT was another A-body model name revisited: "Plymouth Cricket Formula S"!
The Japanese Cricket (1974-1975?) had different grille and taillights from its Colt sibling, unlike Canada's "Dodge Arrow" which as far as I remember only differed in emblems. (Lar Kaufman wrote: The Plymouth Cricket wasn't "Canada only" and wasn't a Canadian model in 1976. [It was] also sold in Puerto Rico as a Plymouth.)
Lanny Knutson, editor of The Plymouth Bulletin, wrote:
Canadian Mitsubishi Crickets were marketed under the Cricket OHC name, to distinguish it from the pushrod British model. Actually there was a quad light Japanese-Canadian Cricket, offered mid-year '73 when the original Cricket was withdrawn. Chrysler Canada continued to offer the Cricket through the 1975 model year. In '76 it was replaced by the Plymouth Colt, identical to the Dodge Colt except for the nameplates, several years before the US saw a Plymouth Colt.

yea, I bet with a ride that sweet it's hard to keep the women from chasing you down.

If I remember correctly the dodge was called the colt and plymouth cricket. They were 4 cyclinder cars and were offered in 2 door versions.

hard for me to believe people covet things we thought were pos rides in the day

-
Back