not a mopar

-

71dartswinger

Reaction score
my 71 ford torino alt light came on yesterday when i started it up and stayed on
batt voltage is 12.6 charging voltage is 14.2 all components (alt/v reg ) were replaced in April 2013 any ideas??????????????????

If I had this "in front of me" I could probably figure it

This could easily be a regulator, and I THINK it could be a bad diode in the alternator as well.

Is this a "relay" regulator or a solid state replacement?

First thing I'd do (if it's relay/ mechanical) is turn start the engine, and give the regulator a "whack" and see if the light goes out.

Check that all regulator wiring is intact.

Then pull the regulator connector off -- I believe the lamp should go out. If it does not, you have a wiring issue.

Replace the regulator.

Your readings sound normal. Plug a voltmeter into the cigarette lighter. I bought several from Harbor Freight at $3 ea (LED lights) that I use in my modern cars that have poor diagnostics. Don't leave it in an unswitched outlet or may run down your battery. I suspect that your "ALT" lamp is really a "low battery voltage" light. Try to measure exactly the same 2 wires that it monitors. My guess is that it has a bad ground. If you want to avoid getting stranded somewhere, look at the Battery Brain. I have one in most of my cars and has saved me several times.

If I had this "in front of me" I could probably figure it

This could easily be a regulator, and I THINK it could be a bad diode in the alternator as well.

Is this a "relay" regulator or a solid state replacement?

First thing I'd do (if it's relay/ mechanical) is turn start the engine, and give the regulator a "whack" and see if the light goes out.

Check that all regulator wiring is intact.

Then pull the regulator connector off -- I believe the lamp should go out. If it does not, you have a wiring issue.

Replace the regulator.

Thanks i will try this in the morning.
when i changed alt it tested good but was only putting out 13.6 volts
the parts store didn't want to exchange but its lifetime warranty

IIRC, the alternator/charging light get turned off by a wire either from the regulator or the alternator that when the alternator starts charging it applies power to the ground side of the warning light & that's how it turns the light off. I don't know what color wire it is specifically & what type of system is in the Pinto to know if it's wired to the regulator or the alternator since I don't have a schematic for it. But that is basically the way it works. It could just be the connection at the regulator or a broken wire to the light. I'd tend to believe at this point the alternator is ok since you have 14.2V coming out of it & the regulator is at least doing it part with regards to charging. If I can dig up a wiring diagram or a schematic I'll PM you & send it to you.

my buddy has the repair books for 71 fords and he is also looking for a diagram
still driving car with no problems

Thanks all
Steve

my 71 ford torino alt led lighting came on yesterday when i started it up and stayed on
batt voltage is 12.6 charging voltage is 14.2 all components (alt/v reg ) were replaced in April 2013 any ideas??????????????????

Were you able to sort it out? I am facing similar issue so can you help me out? Waiting for reply.. Thanks in advance:)

-
Back