NOT a very good sign for the value of mopar muscle cars

-
My 70 Challenger 340 is the only numbers matching car that I have that will be put back like it rolled out the door at Hamtramck. 90% of the bolt on do dads on it are date code correct, so yeah. My 71 Challenger conv is done my way, and has been since 92. It is a factory 318 car, and I do have the numbers matching motor laying around some where....but in no hurry to build it into a 390 stroker and put it back in! I've turned down stupid money for it quite a few times, and will continue to do so! All of the others, the 70 Duster, 69 Dart GT conv, 65 Barracuda, 68 Roadrunner, 77 Trans Am SE will all get built to suit us, not the number heads.

We wouldent be paying that kind of money for 50 year old beat to **** 67-69 cuda fenders or even straight doors with rusty bottoms if AMD made repop fenders and outer door skins. Instead AMD is scaling back production on A body parts. I have what I need, but woulda been happier if I had new fenders instead of repaired ones, ditto for door skins. The outer fender and door skin stampings would fit all 3 years. Slight differences in headlight area on the 69 fender, and the usual openings for reflectors

Maybe I can get into a '68-70 B body with my 2 nickel budget sometime in the future !!!!! LOL

Maybe I can get into a '68-70 B body with my 2 nickel budget sometime in the future !!!!! LOL
I thought the same thing. I'd love to have another 68 charger 383 in bright blue iridescent, with a black top and black gut. The 68 charger in christine is a lot like I used to have in high school back in the 1980s

We wouldent be paying that kind of money for 50 year old beat to **** 67-69 cuda fenders or even straight doors with rusty bottoms if AMD made repop fenders and outer door skins. Instead AMD is scaling back production on A body parts. I have what I need, but woulda been happier if I had new fenders instead of repaired ones, ditto for door skins. The outer fender and door skin stampings would fit all 3 years. Slight differences in headlight area on the 69 fender, and the usual openings for reflectors

Ya Moparmat2000, I agree, but the reason AMD is not making them is because there isn't enough demand for early Cuda parts.

I called AMD and was told this first hand. Even Quarter panels, valences and other specific 67-69 Cuda parts re going to be discontinued soon because of poor sales. Im hoping that as the prices of 70-71's go through the ceiling, hobbists will discover the early a-bodies and then the demand will increase. Maybe we will see new parts availability increase then.

I'm not a flipper so the market really doesn't matter to me, my cars worth remains the same to me and has nothing to do with the market. Prices have been inflated lately in my opinion. And as far as stuffing a hellcat crate and everything to make it super cool well to each their own but I'm much rather see a highly modified era correct motor in one of our cars then a big buck crate.

Can't believe over $100k for a blazer and a Jimmy..but if you noticed a lot of these buyers are young they looked like they were in their 30's-40's..

I hope they are not planning to use them as daily drivers LOL !!

These were the worst rust buckets GM ever made! You might get 3 years out of one of them on the East Coast!

Ya Moparmat2000, I agree, but the reason AMD is not making them is because there isn't enough demand for early Cuda parts.

I called AMD and was told this first hand. Even Quarter panels, valences and other specific 67-69 Cuda parts re going to be discontinued soon because of poor sales. Im hoping that as the prices of 70-71's go through the ceiling, hobbists will discover the early a-bodies and then the demand will increase. Maybe we will see new parts availability increase then.
Last year AMD discontinued the stamping of early B body floor pans, for eample. They told their main vendors for such parts that they would not repop any until they had enough real ordered with deposit. Said it could take a few years. Well 6-8 months later, they had the ordered and repoped some, after I fabed my own pans!! Ha. AMD sends me emails all the time about their new FORD parts!!
Our old car hobby has always enbraced all sorts of different interest. From number crunchers to hotrodders to high $ drag racers and all in between.
Look at the cars of the 40s and 50s in general. There are basically 2 groups The guys that want all original (mostly older gen.) and the guys that want a street rod. What I am calling a street rod is basically a stockish looking car with a "newer" engine. And they put a 60s era trans with the engine, and update the interior. Etc etc. The resto-mod is nothing more than taking that theme further! right!?
The purist car is worth say $8-10,000 and the street rod is worth say $25,000, but the resto rod is going to be worth more yet, depending on what body. And which resto rod will be worth more ? a 50 Cranbrook resto rod or a 68 Charger REST ROD!!!!!!
The are us guys that enjoy the smell and feel of the oem car, the carb, the funky steering, the sorry seats and vinyl, the noise, the idea that it might require some work to get back home. The adventure.
Then there are the guys that want the look of the old car, but yet it drives just like their Lexus back home. They want no breakdown, anything more than a flat would have them totally stumped. The again, there are the guys that love the challenge of the modern drive train, the modern hot rodder, the building of it, the fine tuning, the look of the engine (YUK!),and all that is involved. And throwing each category into age groups does not really work, you will find people of all ages in all spots?
AS we all know, as the generation that connects with a certain era car dies off, get too old, those cars will fall in value in general. Not enough of the younger generations will have the desire to own. So is life. So is supply and demand. Everything in life is a cycle.

Prices need to tank for everything in my opinion. Any time anyone buys something that they label with the word “investment” they risk losing money... If you label it with “dream” you will lose money every time. Only value one should see in a car is do you like it and what is it worth to you to have it. It’s like your self esteem... don’t let others determine the value of your dream.... but in the car world... most are lucky to get into their dream right now cause prices are too high!

I have a set of NOS '69 cuda fenders (not for sale), emailed AMD a few years ago and asked them if they were interested enough to re pop, never even got a courtesy email back.

Yes 10-4 sinister..Lots of cars got cut up in the early 80’s for the “pro street” movement, some done for big bucks at the time. Big news then, not so much now. Some available these days for pennies on the dollar..Swingn’
It's weird to me that i'm only one in my class/highschool that loves and wants to bring back all of the old cars that my dad drove around. Other than one of my classmate's dad, I am the only person that will drive their old muscle car to school. (his is a '70 cuda convertible but whatever) it hurts me to hear people talk about their dream cars and the name tesla comes up more than charger,challenger,camaro, mustang, etc.

67,68,69 cuda "outer" door skins are the same all 3 years. I think that would be easy money. Only need 2 stampings. LH and RH.

67,68 cuda fenders could be stamped and marker light holes, and trim and emblem holes could be left blank. Let the owner drill what's needed and where.

69 cuda fenders are a bit different in the headlight bucket area, plus the indented rectangle stamping for the reflector.

Last edited:
I didn't buy my '69 cuda for any financial gain 10 years ago. I bought it because I had one almost exactly like it brand new as a young man and sold for a dumb reason. Don't ever plan on selling it, just keep passing it on down the line.

67,68,69 cuda "outer" door skins are the same all 3 years. I think that would be easy money. Only need 2 stampings. LH and RH.

67,68 cuda fenders could be stamped and marker light holes, and trim and emblem holes could be left blank. Let the owner drill what's needed and where.

69 cuda fenders are a bit different in the headlight bucket area, plus the indented rectangle stamping for the reflector.

Absolutely correct moparmatt !!

I wonder if there is any way to do a poll on here and send it to AMD ?

This would have to be a serious endeavor with owners who are willing to put down a deposit to get a set of fenders, door skins etc..

Money talks loud!!

It's weird to me that i'm only one in my class/highschool that loves and wants to bring back all of the old cars that my dad drove around. Other than one of my classmate's dad, I am the only person that will drive their old muscle car to school. (his is a '70 cuda convertible but whatever) it hurts me to hear people talk about their dream cars and the name tesla comes up more than charger,challenger,camaro, mustang, etc.

Hey shittyslant6,

I think a lot of the older members on here went through something similar when we were younger. I would show up at social events/Clubs with my ratty a body and everybody would be talking about the new Toyota Supra or Datsun 240 Z. Now I see the same people years later and I still have my A-body. Guess who's the star of the show now!!
Hang in there and keep improving your ride. Its worth it!!

I had an opportunity to purchase and drop in a new crate and dyno tuned 525 HP 392 Gen III Hemi (Non supercharged.) into my non matching numbers (But period correct) '69 GTX. My decision was as follows.
Spend $16k on engine?
Upgrade K-frame and mounts to install?
Rewire for new ignition.
Reroute fuel delivery for injection.
Change exhaust.
Change bellhousing/adapter.
Change clutch
(This is just to name a few.)
And most importantly? Pull a very decent running (bottom end stock.) 440 all to gain (approx) 90 HP?

I declined.

Quick walk around vid of this GTX.

Last edited:
I had an opportunity to purchase and drop in a new crate and dyno tuned 525 HP 392 Gen III Hemi (Non supercharged.) into my non matching numbers (But period correct) '69 GTX. My decision was as follows.
Spend $16k on engine?
Upgrade K-frame and mounts to install?
Rewire for new ignition.
Reroute fuel delivery for injection.
Change exhaust.
Change bellhousing/adapter.
Change clutch
(This is just to name a few.)
And most importantly? Pull a very decent running 440 all to gain (approx) 90 HP?

I declined.

Quick walk around vid of this GTX.

Beautiful GTX !!

I Wouldn't touch it either!

Beautiful GTX !!

I Wouldn't touch it either!
I don't mind upgrading for better performance. In fact, being the car is not close to numbers matching? It's an ideal candidate. But the car has a new 11" Centerforce clutch to an 18 spline A833 trans. It would be a heck of a lot easier to just build up the 440? (Stroker to a 512? Umm.) I have a set of Brodex B1/BS aluminum heads that can be ported to decent flow to accommodate a 512 build. One could get that build to easily blow past 525 HP? Plus the torque advantage. These GEN III motors produce their HP (Especially the supercharged Hellcat) at higher RPM. Well that's fine and dandy. But that takes time on the stop watch.

My A-body Duster single 4 barrel 451 bracket drag car has run up against a couple Hellcats at the track. Once the amber lights went on? Never saw them again. (I know its mainly because of the weight advantage the Duster has. But not the Dusters fault?) Give my Duster's 451 15 lbs of boost? My chassis and drivetrain is not up for that. Whole different animal.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct moparmatt !!

I wonder if there is any way to do a poll on here and send it to AMD ?

This would have to be a serious endeavor with owners who are willing to put down a deposit to get a set of fenders, door skins etc..

Money talks loud!!

I already found fenders for my 67 and my sons 69, but would certainly do 2 pairs of door skins, and gladly plunk down a deposit for them if the price is inline with what dart and duster door skins cost. One thing they could easily stamp out that fits ALL A body 2 door cars from 67-76 is the bottom half of the inside door shell. It could be grafted in to replace rotten door bottoms. Heck they make complete A body dart doors. The bottom of that inside stamping is very close to a 67-69 cuda door. They could make a partial stamping that could be sold for use with the barracuda door shell.

Even the fenders, just stamp the outside with the dogleg and fender reinforcement. You can transfer the headlight bucket part from a trashed out cuda fender. This keeps tooling costs, and packaging sizes a bit smaller.

Fiberglass fenders are an option but fit like ***. I prefer steel.

I don't mind upgrading for better performance. In fact, being the car is not close to numbers matching? It's an ideal candidate. But the car has a new 11" Centerforce clutch to an 18 spline A833 trans. It would be a heck of a lot easier to just build up the 440? (Stroker to a 512? Umm.) I have a set of Brodex B1/BS aluminum heads that can be ported to decent flow to accommodate a 512 build. One could get that build to easily blow past 525 HP? Plus the torque advantage. These GEN III motors produce their HP (Especially the supercharged Hellcat) at higher RPM. Well that's fine and dandy. But that takes time on the stop watch.

My A-body Duster single 4 barrel 451 bracket drag car has run up against a couple Hellcats at the track. Once the amber lights went on? Never saw them again. (I know its mainly because of the weight advantage the Duster has. But not the Dusters fault?) Give my Duster's 451 15 lbs of boost? My chassis and drivetrain is not up for that. Whole different animal.

Ya, in my opinion, the suspension upgrades are where the greatest improvements are. I have been in discussions with a few members on here that have upgraded factory components with good results, some of which I did myself but, in my opinion, the coilovers, tubular upper and lower control arms, rack and pinion, bigger front and rear swaybars , and the multi link rear setups are fantastic for handling and ride quality. I did the firm feel route with upgraded box, thicker tie rods, welded & gusseted K-Member, boxed LCA's , bigger torsion bars and although better , not as good as my present RMS setup. Im running a 500hp Magnum stroker and its plenty of power for me on the street. Also used LA front timing chain cover, V-Belt setup and original style unsilenced air cleaner for a pretty good retro look. Very happy with the car now!!

Depends on which side of the fence you stand on. Me personally.... I like the oddball production cars and oddities go for a little coin but to just see Chevelle's one after the other for sale at insane prices makes no sense to me. I have never been a fan of it just because I enjoyed old iron when it wasn't so old and was affordable even at $3.35 per hour working not even fulltime.

And I have a numbers matching 340 car so I am supposed to expect stupid money when I sell it lol.... Glad to see this for the working man who doesn't have a fat bank roll. And I hope the trend continues....

JW

Depends on which side of the fence you stand on. Me personally.... I like the oddball production cars and oddities go for a little coin but to just see Chevelle's one after the other for sale at insane prices makes no sense to me. I have never been a fan of it just because I enjoyed old iron when it wasn't so old and was affordable even at $3.35 per hour working not even fulltime.

And I have a numbers matching 340 car so I am supposed to expect stupid money when I sell it lol.... Glad to see this for the working man who doesn't have a fat bank roll. And I hope the trend continues....

JW

Completely understand your point Slopar72. My biggest issue now is I'm fast becoming more and more worried about having an accident in a car I built to enjoy. Because parts like fenders are so hard to get for 67-69Cuda's , I'm afraid a mediocre accident could keep me sidelined for months. If the prices start going way up on A-Bodies, it makes more business sense for the suppliers to make them.

Everyone has a good reason for what they prefer and why, that's what I have always loved about this hobby. It doesn't matter at the end of the day whether you are a Mopar nut, Ford freak, or Chevy crazy. Enjoy your ride the way you want to, for me that means I have to get out and drive it, I don't care what it's worth to anyone else and I didn't get involved in the hobby to be a flipper, I do that with the newer daily driver everyday stuff. I have had modern performance cars, they are hard to beat for the price, but there's a different feeling in an old hot rod, whether it's the adventure or the idea that it is something that I built myself, and not a cookie cutter car I can't say, I just know it is fun.

-
Back