Not an A body but just seeing

-

rednesss

Reaction score
Hey, my buddy has a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan and the transmission has taken a crap. If you put it into any gear, R, D, whatever, you can rev the engine and it doesn't go. It doesn't make any horrendous sounds or smell like cooked tranny fluid, but it feels like it just barely wants to move, like someone is in back pushing on the van.

Anybody have any experience with the transmissions in these things? Can it be an electrical problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

how about the shift cable/connection...and making sure the linkage is actually moving the pivot arm to select the gear. thats step one.

I did not crawl under the van to check that specifically, but I can feel the detente's when I run the shift lever up and down through the gears, and you can definitely feel a difference when it's in neutral versus a gear.

Check the fluid level first, run nothing but ATF +4 in that transmission, follow the proper instructions for checking fluid level - at idle in neutral I believe. DO you hear the solenoid pack clicking when it is put in gear? The solenoid pack is on the from of the transmission and has quite a large connector on it. I have heard of people having luck by removing and cleaning the connector.

I did check the ATF fluid level. It looked fine and did not smell like a burned up turd. I couldn't hear any clicking over the noise of the engine from the driver's seat, I'll have to get someone to sit in it while it's up on the hoist and run through the gears while I listen from below.

A Grand would be a V-6 w/ the 4-spd electronic A-604 like in my 2002 T&C. I rebuilt my tranny, though it proved perfect inside. I had to remove it to replace a cracked flex-plate (common problem). There is no shift cable, the cabin shifter is more like a PC mouse. Indeed, when the battery gets low, it goes crazy, showing all gears lit up. That routes thru a transmission controller box (probably in the cabin) and the "solenoid pack" on the tranny side of (front of car). If it does show each selected gear correctly, then the controller is likely fine.

As mentioned, low fluid is the first suspect, but hope your buddy isn't that clueless. Since no gears work and presumably the problem just began, I 2nd checking the solenoid pack. They used to cost $$$, but are now quite affordable rebuilt and real cheap used since these vans are now hitting the junkyard. As w/ any electronics, you must verify PN, but I think the same PN was used for a long time. Easy to remove - 2 screws secure it, but clean thoroughly first and as you re-install. I 2nd first checking the connector for corrosion. There is a quality silicone gasket on the connector, but it lives in a dirty place.

BTW, don't believe the horror stories about "those bad V-6 trannys". The failures were due to shops putting cheaper Dexron in them, which they still do today (causes lock-up shudder). It was a simple, brilliant design for the time. They can last 200K miles before the clutch plates need replacing, unless you drive like a fool. I always lift the throttle when it wants to shift in all my cars.

A Grand would be a V-6 w/ the 4-spd electronic A-604

I think it was called the A604-A606 and they had ALL kinds of problems like that with the shift solenoid packs.

Upside is that they are on the front of the trans on the outside, and can be replace really easily by removing the plastic cover and a couple of attaching bolts.

This trans was well known for the solenoids audible buzz when put in gear.
If you don't hear that buzz when selecting drive from park, it's VERY likely it has a failed solenoid pack.
This is essentially the valve body on these tranmissions, and the computer controls the solenoids telling the trans what to apply and when.

Looks like this with some variations over years, and is right on the front of the trans and next to the radiator on front wheel drive vans. (easy to get to)

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 604.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 115
I have never noticed a buzz in my solenoid pack, but then I never knew to listen for it. When I rebuilt my A-604, I was surprised that it still has a valve body, and looks almost as intricate as an A-904 w/ a maze and several balls. I can't recall, but it probably didn't have the spool valves, like the one the shifter actuates, and the spring loaded spools. I think that is the part the solenoid valve replaces. It also doesn't have the centrifugal governor, using toothed speed pickups on the input and output to measure speed and determine when to shift. Even though 4-spd, it is simpler inside, having no bands. Some clutch plates "ground" parts to the case as a band would do. That was a unique approach at the time and why it was considered innovative. It is simpler to rebuild than an A-904.

I have never noticed a buzz in my solenoid pack, but then I never knew to listen for it. When I rebuilt my A-604, I was surprised that it still has a valve body, and looks almost as intricate as an A-904 w/ a maze and several balls. I can't recall, but it probably didn't have the spool valves, like the one the shifter actuates, and the spring loaded spools. I think that is the part the solenoid valve replaces. It also doesn't have the centrifugal governor, using toothed speed pickups on the input and output to measure speed and determine when to shift. Even though 4-spd, it is simpler inside, having no bands. Some clutch plates "ground" parts to the case as a band would do. That was a unique approach at the time and why it was considered innovative. It is simpler to rebuild than an A-904.

The insulated cover knocks down the solenoid pack sounds. :D

-
Back