NOT another "Green" bearings post

-
If the green bearing haters don’t think their for a daily driver u just have to look at almost every Ford built from about 1957 to the early 90s. The only thing Ford did was have the pin for the axles to but up against. Chevy, BOP had then up to till 1964. Or check out every front wheel drive car,truck, and SUV. Billions and Billions of miles. Kim

If the green bearing haters don’t think their for a daily driver u just have to look at almost every Ford built from about 1957 to the early 90s. The only thing Ford did was have the pin for the axles to but up against. Chevy, BOP had then up to till 1964. Or check out every front wheel drive car,truck, and SUV. Billions and Billions of miles. Kim

Yup, very true. Ball bearing and cylindrical roller bearings at the axle are nothing new, Ford 9's have had them forever, there was a generation of them that used tapered bearings but after that they were pretty much all ball bearings. A lot of new cars have non-serviceable hubs with sealed cylindrical roller bearings even at the front. And most of them are designed to last the life of the car.

The updated green bearings with the snap rings solve the issues the original design had, so as long as they're installed correctly they shouldn't have any issues. I still prefer the tapered bearings, but realistically it's just a preference, it's not like the green bearings won't do the job. Heck my Challenger had green bearings for most of the 70k street miles I put on it, those green bearings are still fine.

For what it's worth, I went with the Dr. Diff flavor of the OE style bearings. I appreciate everyone's input. Didn't want to start another Green vs tapered thread/argument, just wanted input on Dr Diff vs Yukon for brand of kit for tapered.

I believe both Green and OE tapered have pros and cons. I chose tapered because OE style, and there were no significant improvements of one over the other that I could find, at least after install.

I was a member of a similar forum for a certain model of motorcycle. The big debate on that one was always the 'doohickey' modification. Basically, premature wear of the factory chain tensioner caused a 'must do' in that community. Whenever anyone asked for data on the premature failures, either people were adjusting the tensioner too often, or declined to respond. My thoughts are, this is similar.

Do green bearings fail earlier because of a bad design, or improper install or is just echoes from the non-c-clip design that can be purchased still. (Mopar performance and Mosure sell the one piece bad style rp400)

Do tapered bearings fail earlier due to improper installs, maintenance or cheaper parts?

Probably yes to all but no body has all the facts. One guy on our forum has been asking for engineering tolerances for the Green style for years and has yet to get an answer.

Thanks anyways!

Enjoy the ride until my next dumb question.

IMO Green bearings fail just based on issues related to them not being the OE-designed part; more care needs to be taken that they're the correct dimensions, installed correctly etc.

Tapered roller bearings in live rear axles are overkill, nobody else really used them besides Chrysler. I've personally never heard of them failing except in extreme abuse/neglect situations (water intrusion/lack of grease, way too little or way too much axle endplay).

If I was building up a rear end from scratch I'd seriously consider the Green bearings even for hard cornering. IIRC Ford rear ends use ball-type rear wheel bearings (or at least non-tapered rollers) and those aren't blowing up left and right when guys build up and race their older (Fox body, SN95 etc) Mustangs at road courses or autocrosses. Pressing on new tapered rollers on a ~3-foot long axle shaft sounds like a PITA.

For what it's worth, I went with the Dr. Diff flavor of the OE style bearings. I appreciate everyone's input. Didn't want to start another Green vs tapered thread/argument, just wanted input on Dr Diff vs Yukon for brand of kit for tapered.

I believe both Green and OE tapered have pros and cons. I chose tapered because OE style, and there were no significant improvements of one over the other that I could find, at least after install.

I was a member of a similar forum for a certain model of motorcycle. The big debate on that one was always the 'doohickey' modification. Basically, premature wear of the factory chain tensioner caused a 'must do' in that community. Whenever anyone asked for data on the premature failures, either people were adjusting the tensioner too often, or declined to respond. My thoughts are, this is similar.

Do green bearings fail earlier because of a bad design, or improper install or is just echoes from the non-c-clip design that can be purchased still. (Mopar performance and Mosure sell the one piece bad style rp400)

Do tapered bearings fail earlier due to improper installs, maintenance or cheaper parts?

Probably yes to all but no body has all the facts. One guy on our forum has been asking for engineering tolerances for the Green style for years and has yet to get an answer.

Thanks anyways!

Enjoy the ride until my next dumb question.
So I just have to ask: do u have all factory parts on your car or did somehow some aftermarket parts gonna be along for the ride? Kim

So I just have to ask: do u have all factory parts on your car or did somehow some aftermarket parts gonna be along for the ride? Kim
Well of course I have non-factory parts. But they all either provide some sort of a benefit or there was no other option for replacement.

My point is, from what I've read on the forums and articles, the case of which style of bearing to use was a wash.

IMO Green bearings fail just based on issues related to them not being the OE-designed part; more care needs to be taken that they're the correct dimensions, installed correctly etc.

Tapered roller bearings in live rear axles are overkill, nobody else really used them besides Chrysler. I've personally never heard of them failing except in extreme abuse/neglect situations (water intrusion/lack of grease, way too little or way too much axle endplay).

If I was building up a rear end from scratch I'd seriously consider the Green bearings even for hard cornering. IIRC Ford rear ends use ball-type rear wheel bearings (or at least non-tapered rollers) and those aren't blowing up left and right when guys build up and race their older (Fox body, SN95 etc) Mustangs at road courses or autocrosses. Pressing on new tapered rollers on a ~3-foot long axle shaft sounds like a PITA.
I mean it's the same number of parts using the same method of installation. And my bearings didn't fail. Some *** hat before me demolished the end play adjuster. So the bearings had to come off.

If I were building a rearend from scratch I would probably do a big Ford housing end (Torino) that uses tapered bearings.
I don’t like Green bearings because I have had two different failures with the old version. Yes, they revised it but I’ve been twice bitten and have never had a problem with tapered bearings.

-
Back