Not enough younger people in this hobby...

-
All great suggestions guys. It was especially interesting to hear some suggestions on more modern cars that they could get into cheap. I never new that the little Shelby z's and Omni Turbo cars had forged parts in them! That was a total surprise... So I guess I will see what I can get my hands on in a newer sporty package for cheap. I will would like to go 4 banger and maybe put a new paint job on it. I want them to have something cool to drive to their senior year.

some of it these days might be parenting, i know when it was time for me to look into getting my first car my dad was a huge influence on my decesion. my uncle had a 70 charger and my dad had a 69 dart both long gone buy now. i always told him that when i got a car i didnt want to be like everybody else and have a nova or chevelle sitting in my higschool parking lot. and on my walk home from school when i was 15 i turned to walk down the drive way and there it was (my first and still own to this day) car a 73 duster rootbeer brown with a slant six and bald tires. i was 15 had a lil under a year to get it to where i could drive it. any way boring story i know... but now to what i was going tos ay the import and honda crowd are full of younger people so they can all relate to eachother and the muscle car cround is all of older generation i thknk that has alot to do with it also.... aaaand i have been to alot of car shows where a kid 15-17 years old takes an interest in someones car starts asking them questinos and the owner doesnt give them the time of day. gets angry if they get to closs to it. i think guys need to sit back and relax and let the younger geneartion sit in our cars feel them running touch them so they can get the love for them that we all had growing up in our parents cars. asnd get out and say wow thats the car i want..and when younger kids look at my car and say wow thats cool but i really want a honda..all i say to them is thats cool but do you wanna drive a honda or race in :blob:a mopar?

that is a sweet jeep, Joe! i need to get one! always liked those.

seem to run forever with that 4.0... his has about 218,000 miles. my buddy just a real good running one that has 295,000 miles.. shame they don't make that motor anymore.

i have a few other things i want to work on but i will be saving for a cherokee in the near future. :)

aaaand i have been to alot of car shows where a kid 15-17 years old takes an interest in someones car starts asking them questinos and the owner doesnt give them the time of day. gets angry if they get to closs to it. i think guys need to sit back and relax and let the younger geneartion sit in our cars feel them running touch them so they can get the love for them that we all had growing up in our parents cars. asnd get out and say wow thats the car i want.

your right thats a problem too. the check book asshole ruined the hobby like that. when i was young the older guys had nice cars but actually used them. they shared knowlege they gave young guys good discounts on parts they needed.. they helped the kids. these days too many of the check book clowns don't know how to work on their car to start with, then they think every part is made of gold..

and when younger kids look at my car and say wow thats cool but i really want a honda..all i say to them is thats cool but do you wanna drive a honda or race in a mopar?

gotta watch. some of those ricers will tear up that old mopar..lol

Hey, 21 here, got the car for free but have more in it than I care to count. I'm going to get some stickers that say, "this car is my daily driver, touch it all you want, but don't scratch it." The biggest problem with Mopars is that they're just so damn expensive. And everything thinks that they should be so they price everything into the stratosphere.

damn by reading some of these ud think id been infected when i was 13 with a bad disease cus Ive never owned a newer car then 77 never want to and have had 3 mopars nothing else and i drive two daily work on em all the times and I'm 24 with a kid and I'm still working on my car on a smaller budget but me and my girlfriend have said we would never sell the cars no matter what.......where like those weird people on that show that live the vintage life everything vintage(just not weird like wearing sweat suits and lapels and whatnot)

your right thats a problem too. the check book asshole ruined the hobby like that. when i was young the older guys had nice cars but actually used them. they shared knowlege they gave young guys good discounts on parts they needed.. they helped the kids. these days too many of the check book clowns don't know how to work on their car to start with, then they think every part is made of gold..

gotta watch. some of those ricers will tear up that old mopar..lol

i will say a few years back at a local car show i watched a youger kid probaly 6 or 7 drob what was left of a vanilla ice cream cone on the hood of this guys 70 chevelle:eek:ops: beautful car.. he started crying immediatly (the kid not the guy) and his dad was getting angry with him. i was looking at the blown cuda next to it at the time. the kid felt horrible and the dad felt horrible the onwer of the car walks up looks at it gets down at the little kid and im thinking oh man this kid is gonna hate life says dont worry little man thats what water is for grabed a bottle of water rinsed it off dried it picked the little kid up and sat him down in the drivers seat and said just sit here and relax for a lil bud. now that is the kinda car guys we need....:cheers:

i will say a few years back at a local car show i watched a youger kid probaly 6 or 7 drob what was left of a vanilla ice cream cone on the hood of this guys 70 chevelle:eek:ops: Beautful car.. He started crying immediatly (the kid not the guy) and his dad was getting angry with him. I was looking at the blown cuda next to it at the time. The kid felt horrible and the dad felt horrible the onwer of the car walks up looks at it gets down at the little kid and im thinking oh man this kid is gonna hate life says dont worry little man thats what water is for grabed a bottle of water rinsed it off dried it picked the little kid up and sat him down in the drivers seat and said just sit here and relax for a lil bud. Now that is the kinda car guys we need....:cheers:

x2

i will say a few years back at a local car show i watched a youger kid probaly 6 or 7 drob what was left of a vanilla ice cream cone on the hood of this guys 70 chevelle:eek:ops: beautful car.. he started crying immediatly (the kid not the guy) and his dad was getting angry with him. i was looking at the blown cuda next to it at the time. the kid felt horrible and the dad felt horrible the onwer of the car walks up looks at it gets down at the little kid and im thinking oh man this kid is gonna hate life says dont worry little man thats what water is for grabed a bottle of water rinsed it off dried it picked the little kid up and sat him down in the drivers seat and said just sit here and relax for a lil bud. now that is the kinda car guys we need....:cheers:

That's awesome. Rare though.

damn by reading some of these ud think id been infected when i was 13 with a bad disease cus Ive never owned a newer car then 77 never want to and have had 3 mopars nothing else and i drive two daily work on em all the times and I'm 24 with a kid and I'm still working on my car on a smaller budget but me and my girlfriend have said we would never sell the cars no matter what.......where like those weird people on that show that live the vintage life everything vintage(just not weird like wearing sweat suits and lapels and whatnot)

That's cool. Lets see if ya still think the same way at 44 years old.

my does im sure i will i wanna be the guy driving the wagon at 55 slamming metallica in 2033 the old garage days stuff no new stuff.

im pretty die hard at what i become close and love

All great suggestions guys. It was especially interesting to hear some suggestions on more modern cars that they could get into cheap. I never new that the little Shelby z's and Omni Turbo cars had forged parts in them! That was a total surprise... So I guess I will see what I can get my hands on in a newer sporty package for cheap. I will would like to go 4 banger and maybe put a new paint job on it. I want them to have something cool to drive to their senior year.

i should have clarified that

the chrysler turbo 4 bangers only have the forged internals, and full floating connecting rods if they are a turbo ll or ll or lV intercooled 5 speed car, the turbo l automatic non intercooled cars use cast internals, and pressed piston wrist pins. the cast cranks if balanced, and cleaned up are good for 300 HP, and have robust sized journals on par with the slant 6.

there are a few things about these engines you need to know tho.

1. you time them thru the tranny bell housing with a timing light, and a 1/2" wrench, with engine fully warmed up, you disconnect 2 wire plug next to thermostat, electric fan kicks on, check engine lights. computer is now in "block learn" make timing adjustment, lock distributer back down, reconnect plug fan goes off, check engine lght goes out done.

2. dont overheat one, it will warp the head and pop the headgasket.

3. the vaccuum house routing diagram under the hood is NOT a suggestion. you need to plumb the vaccuum hoses as shown, or you get NO boost and the car is a total ball less dog

4.the head bolts are torque to yield. since the heads are aluminum after full torque is reached you turn headbolts 1/4 turn tighter in pattern to stretch the bolts. they are one time use then they are trash. i use ARP head bolts these dont use the 1/4 turn stretch and can be reused. sneak up on the final torque. set the wrench low, and torque in pattern, then go up on torque 20 pounds and torque in pattern again keep doing this till you reach rated torque, then do your additional 1/4 turn with a breaker bar if using the stretch bolts.

5. turbo ll blocks and heads are crossdrilled with steam holes. you can use a non turbo ll head with a turbo ll block and vice versa, but will need the MP 005 headgasket without the steam holes.

6. the top of the thermostat housing on the head is called the waterbox. it has a hex key plug in it facing up. i replace these with a brass adaptor with a drain petcock. you leave this open when filling the radiatorto remove air from the system. when antifreeze comes out you close it up. its an air bleed. dont force it to come out.steel plug, aluminum head. i used mapp gas and a bernsomatic torch and hit it with WD40 while hot to loosen it up so i dont jack up the threads

7. you want the tires to slip under hard accelleration since the transaxles are not like an A833. if you get good traction out of the hole with a hot rodded 2.2 turbo these go BOOM. a stock turbo car these are just fine. the new process A555 is the one to have it has heavy duty gears, and a heat treated case for durability and crack resistance. use synthetic 5W30 motor oil in the transaxle so it shifts smoother. this was a mopar TSB back in the early 90s

8. a new standard volume oil pump is sufficient in these cars. high pump pressure will result in over pressurizing the turbocharger bearing housing, and it becomes a bug killer smoking blue smoke out the tailpipe.

.9 uncork the exhaust. with a turbo the bigger the better in diameter.

the shelby dodge forums will give you much more info, and you can check out www.FWDperformance.com for parts if they are still in business.

i have a killer turbo ll i built up, a few years ago, but lost interest in it its never been run. i pickled ity with marine engine storage oil, and plugged off all the holes. it sits bolted on a homemade storage cradle.

it has a torqueplate bored and honed bottom end, steel o ringed block, fully forged blueprinted and balanced bottom end with forged dished JE pistons, the head is fully ported and port matched to the intake and exhaust. a 2.5" swingvalve dump (integral wastegate) a 58MM holley throttle body off a 3.8L chrysler imperial port matched to the turbo ll intake, a buick grand national rising rate of gain fuel pressure regulator, siemens deka +20 injectors, a dodge dakota 2.5 pickup roller camshaft. its probably going to be good for 350HP at 25 pounds of boost. dont seem like much power but its only an 8 valve single cam 4 banger.

Very interesting topic here, I'll tell you my story, My son and I have been building his Duster for about the last 10 Years ,we have had a great time doing it and I tell every body including my bro-in-law how it has kept me and my son in-touch, well my brother-in-law has a 14 year old son and has told him that he will buy him any brand new car on the market, My nephew has told him flat out that he wants a car like Uncle Bob and Bryces. This has caused so many family arguments. I tried telling my nephew that he would be better off with a new car just for the fact that his dad does not have the passion for muscle cars . Nothing wrong with being able to afford a new car but when I grew up that wasnt an option. My dad and me built my first car and thats what I did with my son. To each their own I guess.

Bob

Very interesting topic here, I'll tell you my story, My son and I have been building his Duster for about the last 10 Years ,we have had a great time doing it and I tell every body including my bro-in-law how it has kept me and my son in-touch, well my brother-in-law has a 14 year old son and has told him that he will buy him any brand new car on the market, My nephew has told him flat out that he wants a car like Uncle Bob and Bryces. This has caused so many family arguments. I tried telling my nephew that he would be better off with a new car just for the fact that his dad does not have the passion for muscle cars . Nothing wrong with being able to afford a new car but when I grew up that wasnt an option. My dad and me built my first car and thats what I did with my son. To each their own I guess.

Bob

thats awesome that you guys are using cars as a bonding tool. i have come to be best friends with with my adoptive family under a hood. not so much anymore but when i was starting out .....so many conversations went on for hours under a hood.

BTW: i hope none of you all are forgetting Daughters you may have. if my adoptive dad only focused on male bonding then i would not even be here now into cars....but he didnt treat me any different and told me cars are for everyone......just sayin

My 19 year old son (little red dart) needed a new DD. He picked out a 74' /6 swinger because it's what HE liked on his budget. He's got lots of friends with high powered imports that really like his car. He wouldn't buy anything new. He really appreciates the classics. Even though he has friends with 400+ hp awd cars that launch @ 5k rpm like a shot he'd rather drive a slow old COOL mopar. (well actually he rather drive my 440 gtx :)) He goes to a tuner get together on wed nights and occasionally I'll let him take the gtx. When he comes rumbling in with it they all have to come over to check it out. They know class when it's sitting in front of them wether they want to admit it or not.

thats awesome that you guys are using cars as a bonding tool. i have come to be best friends with with my adoptive family under a hood. not so much anymore but when i was starting out .....so many conversations went on for hours under a hood.

BTW: i hope none of you all are forgetting Daughters you may have. if my adoptive dad only focused on male bonding then i would not even be here now into cars....but he didnt treat me any different and told me cars are for everyone......just sayin

Now you know I'm not forgetting about the ladies Rani!! What with sunfish taking the prime spot in the garage, and mrs. C's cuda for my avatar, I'm all bout the Mopar ladies in my life!!

Cosig, you are one lucky guy,you have 2 Mopar ladies in your life. My son and me have been doing this duster thing for the last 10 years and my wife still calls it the POS in the driveway.

Bob

That's where I like the mindset of my 18 year old nephew. He's got his Duster, his Cordoba, and now his daily driver of an '89 D150.

His friends are all about keeping up with the Joneses. They build the ricers, the jacked up trucks, etc. When they ask him why he's building a Cordoba of all things he looks at 'em and tells them, "cause you're not."

This kid has always been his own kid, though, and marched to the beat of his own drum.

The hobby, though, is constantly evolving, but remains true to the basic core.

Ricer guys: taking parts off the stock engine and putting on aftermarket pieces they think will make the car go fast. Loud exhaust. Cheap fixes for the suspension, like cutting a coil out a spring to lower the car, yet makes it handle like crap. Aftermarket wheels, big tires. Crappy looking wings that add nothing areodynamically, they think looks cool.

Musclecar guys growing up in the area: taking parts off the stock engine and putting on aftermarket pieces they thought would make the car go fast. Loud exhaust. Cheap fixes for the suspension, like putting on shackles to raise the car, yet made it handle like crap. Aftermarket wheels, big tires. Crappy looking hood scoops, usually without even a hole in the hood they thought looked cool.

So where's the big difference?

Cosig, you are one lucky guy,you have 2 Mopar ladies in your life. My son and me have been doing this duster thing for the last 10 years and my wife still calls it the POS in the driveway.

Bob

Hey Bob, wait till your Mrs has to take the Duster out for the first time and gets into that right lane that ends. When she steps on the gas to get in front of that car blocking her out and feels that power, she'll be an instant convert!!

That's what happened to my bride, and she's been digging HP ever since!!

Hey guys. Saw this thread and felt like giving my two cents! I'm 18 now but when I was 15 I was given a 76 valiant that ran but was a heap of rust. In the glovebox was a Hanes book with a bunch of notes on paper too the owners grandson Blake. I used the parts from that car and all the knowledge in that book to start my duster project. Parts are very expensive. And gas prices are brutal. All it takes is one person willing to teach another, and my teacher wasn't even living! Blake had a cute sister and long story short hes under my wing all the time now and he'll be getting a project A body soon as I find another worth buying!

I am turning 39 next month , I am still young,my story

I think all young boys who got a father uncle.. that have a old car v8 will get the feeling of these car , He will know that import is cool..... but know the rumble of a v8 and the kick it deliver.let your kid play in the garage let them use his hand ,from building lego too cleaning some engine parts

my father run a f/sa dart gts before I was born.He kept telling me stories of this particular car,when i was 10 year old ,my father built a bracket/ street 70 swinger 340,and a z28 that a start driving on it and drag raceat 16 year old .i remenber many time seating behind the wheel in the garage...

I run the z28 for 3 year on the strip .but of course the money for a v8 car was not in my pocket. my friend had civic turbo. a got a eagle talon turbo,that i boosted and do some trick that pull me on 13s in the 1/4.it was cool and i could go working in this car .

around me , still got many friend that have run import and now run v8 car.but of course life ,buying a home making a family keep some young men still dreaming,and of course the price of old car getting higher.the hobby is changing ,Ithink the older men that have the car from the 30s/40s/50s have a similar view back in the 80/90

my fleet
08 jeep GC overland crd (wife/family/tow)
10 vw jetta (daily)
72 swinger
99 37 inch jeep tj long arm
91 crx si 1,6 l n/a track car with 12 comp.

For the most part (with exceptions) people tend to gravitate toward things of their youth, when in a "collectors" hobby. For example people tend to prefer the music that was popular in their teens.

Today's youth (again, with exceptions) tend to lean toward the cars they were introduced to in their late teens and early 20's. It's no secret that cars of the 80's and 90's aren't truly considered to be "collector cars" or "muscle cars". In fact, I've heard them described as "Jelly beans". The all look the same, just in different colors.

Anyway, the proliferation of sports compacts (some call them "ricers") and fwd wirh transverse mounted engines are the vehicles of choice to these young people. The are plentiful, inexpensive, and cheap to operate. After market support for these pieces is extraordinary, and it's what their friends have.

The collector car hobby is largely a baby boomer hobby, that some of the later generations have found appealing. I suppose, as with the older classic cars, of the teens, 20's and 30's etc, collecting, building, and showing 60's and 70's cars will always be a presence in the hobby, but, will eventually take a back seat to those who prefer collect the cars of their youth (of the 80's, 90's and 2000's) even though people like us still have difficulty looking at those cars as anything more than disposable with certain exceptions.

Such is life.

X2! Nailed it.

There are a lot of young members on this forum like myself. I joined when I was 17 and I am 24 now. I grew up around old cars though. There are a ton of young people into muscle cars but not so much mopar just because of the prices and the fact that they didn't stick with the v8 compact cars like ford and chevy did with the mustangs and Cameros. Kids can go out and get a beat up foxbody and have a real decent hot rod for a few grand. Not the case with mopars.

One thing I can tell you not to do is force it on them. If you try to make a teenager enjoy something it will have the opposite effect!

Ah yes the evolution of Gearhead Fathers teaching their Son(s) about the pure
adrenalin rush of frying tires ( tyres for OUR across the pond Honored Members)

Palmetto,
--- Just carry on Sir --- Finance the build :D !!!

On the 4 cyl side note, I have an complete Lotus Head 2.2 TIII for the next
(x4) installation in My '67 cuda.

-
Back