Not getting power seconds wire on Headlight Switch. Painless performance.

-

Chep

Reaction score
I am working on a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport with a painless performance harness that was just installed. I have hooked up the headlight switch and everything works that gets power. The problem is one of the two power feeds is dead (wire number 959 pink). I have checked all fuses, grounds everything. The only this that is not connected for all the lights is my dome light.

Anyone have any further thoughts? I could splice the other power feed and just bridge the two connections but I know that the dead wire was put there for a reason.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 205
Don't do that. Think about what "Ma" did originally. "She" realized it is DANGEROUS to lose headlights at 70mph, so "she" pushed the limits, trading off "wire harness protection" for "surity of operation." Originally, the headlights ONLY power (not tail/ park/ dash) was supplied UNFUSED directly from the ammeter circuit to the headlight power terminal.

The ONLY protection in that circuit was the big main fuse link, and a built in breaker in the switch.

I'll have to dig up my Painless diagram. It would be helpful if you posted a link to it.

OK, so look at table 11-2

928, a RED / BLACK no12 should supply main headlights ONLY power

959, an ORANGE no 14 should supply tail / park / dash power

If you cannot get power to either it appears they both originate at the fuse panel, so you'll have to trace that out, make sure the fuses are good and that they are actually wired as Painless "claims"

sfysz4.jpg

Sorry too small. I cannot decipher that

959 is coming in from top left? And it's the one that's dead? I'd say get back to the fuse panel and figure out what's going on there. Might be miswired somehow, bad fuse, or ?? You'll simply have to dig into the panel and find out "whut"

-
Back