not much throttle

-

purplescamper

Reaction score
I am getting my 73 scamp with a 360 ready to run but when I hooked up my throttle cable I don't get much action out of it. the first pic is without my foot on the gas. the second is with my foot in it. am I doing something wrong, or do I need a different setup ?

100_2484.JPG

100_2485.JPG

If it has a choke, open it all the way and try it.
And adjust the cable in the bracket back to where the metal housing tapers down.

(then if that doesn't help)
Then look at where the shaft runs through the carb and see if your attaching point of the cable on the linkage is on the same plane when WOT.
If it is you need an adapter bracket for the carb linkage.
IIRC the adapter places the cable attaching point farther towards the front of the engine so you get full throw of the throttle linkage.

I'll look for another pic to show the linkage to cable plane and post it so you see what I meant by that.

100_2484.JPG

Ok here we go.
Lets say the grey line is your throttle cable and the thin red line is your linkage centerline.
In this scenario the throttle travel represented by the big red line will only be down to the thin red line and no farther.
The linkage cannot pass that thin red line because at that point it is pulling straight away from the rod that goes through the carb.

2linkage.jpg

I am getting my 73 scamp with a 360 ready to run but when I hooked up my throttle cable I don't get much action out of it. the first pic is without my foot on the gas. the second is with my foot in it. am I doing something wrong, or do I need a different setup ?

View attachment 1715046949

View attachment 1715046950
for wide open throttle check, as suggested open choke (best method is by adding vacuum to choke pulloff), floor accelerator pedal, look for roll pin on drivers side secondary throttle shaft, it should be contacting throttle body casting. It is a positive stop.

Sorry, at a glance, I thought you had the adapter...

Buy correct Mopar adaptor for $15.
Take the housing off the cable between the ferrules.
Loosen the nut on the bracket and move the rear ferrule that looks like a bullet casing back untill you can draw full throttle.

Last edited:
As an aside, don't forget the throttle pressure linkage, unless you're running a full manual VB.

i have someone put the pedal to the floor ,adjust cable to fully opened carb,if that makes sense

Sorry, at a glance, I thought you had the adapter...

Buy correct Mopar adaptor for $15.
Take the housing off the cable between the ferrules.
Loosen the nut on the bracket and move the rear ferrule that looks like a bullet casing back untill you can draw full throttle.
Where do I buy the adapter from ?

Quick answer;
Loosen cable clamp
Open carb to WOT
Pull cable rearward through clamp until taut
Tighten clamp
Done!

sometimes if you are going from 2bbl to 4bbl you have to use the 4bbl int manifold throttle cable bracket or get a different length throttle cable.

I bought the throttle cable from classic industries, didn't state if it was for a 2bbl or 4bbl. the the thermoquad is mounted on an edelbrock performer manifold

I suppose if you clamp down
hard enough you could crush the ferrule and clamp the cable inside. you may need a 1/4" spacer under the carb, and/or different throttle cable bracket judging from the looks of it.

It's probably binding because the black sheathing on the throttle end between the ferrules is longer than the travel of the throttle arm. Why is it even there? All the factory and aftermarket cables I have used are bare between the ferrules.

Either that or it's kinked out of sight. It only takes about 18" of cable to reach the padal.

Sorry I didn't recognize the TQ arm earlier.

Last edited:
It's probably binding because the black sheathing on the throttle end between the ferrules is longer than the travel of the throttle arm. Why is it even there? All the factory and aftermarket cables I have used are bare between the ferrules.

Either that or it's kinked out of sight. It only takes about 18" of cable to reach the padal.

Sorry I didn't recognize the TQ arm earlier.
is there a difference between a 2 bbl cable and a 4bbl cable ?

Not that I am aware of. Do you see a way to detach either end to get that sheathing off between the ferrules?
You may have to cut ithe black sheath off, unless it has a spiral wound inner core. I have no experience with Classic Industries cables. It could just be plastic.

If there is, my car doesn't know it. I swapped from a 2v carb to a 4v carb, and all I changed was the throttle cable bracket itself, and a couple pieces of the throttle pressure linkage.

-
Back