Not really a restoration, more building a sleeper - 71 Dart

-

FredS

Reaction score
Never really introduced myself, but have been a member here for a while. Bought this 71 here in Phoenix on CL, stock build freshly painted and interior mostly done.

Spent way more than I originally budgeted, but I wanted it built to what I wanted, not fitting someone's mold of what it should be. A sleeper to be exact. Looks as plain as can be, and isn't super loud, unless I get into the throttle. Oh, the tach on the dash does give some hint.

I'll keep fine tuning little things but for right now, it's time to just enjoy it and beat on it too.

Started as a stock 318/904 with 8 3/4 rear. Paint was just done 3 months before I purchased it, and the reason the guy sold it, was because he ran out of money, and it needed to just go.
It needed some interior work, and the trans had no 3rd or reverse.(No problem for me, I build these transmissions in my sleep).

I've done way too much to this car to recite it all in one post, so if interested, I will comment on any specific requests, otherwise here's the quick and dirty.

IMM built 408 with W2 race heads with:
K1 crank and rods
Diamond pistons CR 10:1
Comp custom grind cam 254/260 at .050
.698 gross list with T&D 1.6 Chromoly rockers
TTI 1-7/8 headers, X-pipe 3 inch to Super turbos, 2.5 tailpipes
Magnafuel 275 pump with return and their 2 feed regulator
1/2 pickup sending unit, with 1/2 bulkhead fitting return in stock tank
Holley 850DP
20/34 timing through MSD box/dizzy (no advance)
runs on 91 octane just fine

904 I built with the typical Red's, TF-2, with some of my own tweaks, and TCS Canada 3K stall converter

3.55s(clutch LS) with 275/50-15 Nitto Drag Radials out back, stock up front for now
K-H front disks (Mustang rotors in the shop to go on soon)
Dr Diff axles, 10.7 rear disks Cobra calipers w/park brake
Espo springs
Hotchkis Fox shocks, F&R swap bars and sub frame connectors

The day I brought it home - April 2014

And here it is now:

Curits, a local guy that does awesome interior work knocked out the headliner, and a few minor interior pieces

1350 yokes on the 904 and the 8-3/4. No cutting corners here.

That looks great, Fred. Very un-assuming, you should be able to confuse a person or two with that.

And when they ask you what's in it, why a 318 of course, lmao.

The radiator is a stock tank with a true brass 3-core 5/8 tube unit built by a local shop here near me. Still cost over $500, and have had to pull it 2 times to fix pin hole leaks where he stretched the tanks to fit the core.

Factory shroud with a clutch fan, and it does a really good job of keeping me between 170-200, depending on outside temp. I try not to drive it when its over about 95. Not near as fun as when its 80 or below.

Other than the drag radials and the tach on the dash, its very stock looking. Once I mention whats under the hood, it catches people by surprise. The exhaust tone isn't necessarily loud, but a slightly intimidating lope coming out of the pipes, telling you this motor is nowhere near stock.

Had taken some more recent pics for insurance appraisal, so might as well share them.

One of the subframe connectors

Some Engine shots:

Some exterior

Here's a before shot of driving with the bright LED backlight. Hooked up an Autometer dimmer and I still need to take a night driving shot.

Another member had some original metal wiper arms, just waiting for Amazon to deliver my refill blades and then that will be done.

Magnafuel setup and regulator. Installed 1/2 bulkhead fitting in tank for return. 5/8 feed to secondary 10micron filter, then dual feed 3/8 line regulator to carb. Currently set at 6psi, and everything seems happy.

And it never ends. Waiting for next summer, maybe sooner, to do the Mustang rotor conversion to get the 15's up front, and the A-500 most likely goes in too.

Right now its driving time, and no time to be down for changes.

Love what you've done with it! I think your tach is the biggest give away. I've got mine down on the dash by my left knee. Ricers around here don't seem to pay attention to the big tires or the sound. They sometimes ask if it's missing lol!

Walker434, any shots of how yours is mounted. Sometimes, I don't care for it up high, and with my shift light being the backlighting, it's very easy to see the color change.

Walker434, any shots of how yours is mounted. Sometimes, I don't care for it up high, and with my shift light being the backlighting, it's very easy to see the color change.

No I'll try to take a few pics tonight.

Not a "Sleeper" -- The cam - dog dish caps - tac on dash - sway bars, etc. give it away. -- Nice car.

Anyone know of a close matching passenger side mirror for these?

Nice? yes

Sleeper? No LOL

Maybe from a distance....it's a sleeper. lol

Fred, I really do like your build. Looks like somethin I would do. Dawg dishes and all. Awesome.

-
Back