Not sure if I broke this today, but...

-

ProjectBazza

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This Aussie '71 Valiant VG isn't my car, but I've gotten to know it quite well these past few months.

I washed it today, and while drying it off I bumped this trim piece on the trunk lid and noticed it was broken. Did I break it, or was it that way before? I don't know, but I touched it last (and this a good friend's car), so...

IMG_4854.JPG

Can anyone tell me, is this an Aussie-only emblem, or was it ever used on a US car of some sort (and hopefully still obtainable) ?

The car is going back to the owner next weekend either way, but I'd like to know what my options are.

Thanks!

Jim

Pretty sure that is an Aussie only emblem. My 70 Valiant VG had been repainted and was missing this emblem, couldn't find one and that was around 2009...

If you look at the end where the red arrow is pointing. If it was already broken the metal should not look clean / new

The green arrow
Points to what looks like adhesive. There are holes for posts so not sure why there would be adhesive AND posts

Maybe adhesive was used earlier to "repair" a broken emblem.

IMHO best thing you can do is notify your friend asap.

And if need be replaced it if that is an option.

My guess "By Chrysler" is an export thing

If a replacement is not an option I can duplicate it and have it 3D printed in metal that can be painted and polished.

Pm me if intrested

Screenshot_20231007-174300.png

Bummer. That might be really hard to find. I have been into Mopars for 50 years, and I have never seen the "byChrysler" emblem. I have seen a zillion "Chrysler" emblems, but the "by" in front of your emblem tells me that is an Ausie piece only. There is a way around it that will not be all that noticeable. I would do this only if you cannon fint a replacement. Buy a small roll of the double-sided trim adhesive tape. I would go to a car parts store here. Then very carefully, grind/cut the mounting posts off the back of the trim pieces. Then temporarily try gluing them together with a few drops of super glue. If the glue works, fine, if not, you will need an extra pair of hands to hold the pieces together while you perform the next step. Place the trim piece face down on a table. You are now going to use the double-sided trim adhesive tape to permanently hold the two pieces of that trim piece together. Cut a piece about 13mm (1/2") long and apply it to the back of the trim piece bridging the gap where the break is LEAVING the peel off plastic strip that protects the top side of the tape in place. Trim the tape so that you cannot see it from the front when installed. Now, cover the rest of the back of the trim piece with the tape leaving the peel off plastic strip that protects the top side of the tape in place. Now with a new/sharp razor blade or Exacto Knife blade, trim the tape so that you cannot see the tape from the front. Now peel off the plastic strip that protects the top side of the tape and carefully place the emblem in place AFTER cleaning/prepping the area. It is time consuming, but if you are careful, it will work fine. After all, most emblems are put on with double-sided tape nowadays.

I could be mistaken, but I swear I've seen these same "by Chrysler" emblems on late 60s early 70s U.S. built New Yorkers, Newport's etc.
I'm sure you'll find one here if needed.

This Aussie '71 Valiant VG isn't my car, but I've gotten to know it quite well these past few months.

I washed it today, and while drying it off I bumped this trim piece on the trunk lid and noticed it was broken. Did I break it, or was it that way before? I don't know, but I touched it last (and this a good friend's car), so...

View attachment 1716151273

Can anyone tell me, is this an Aussie-only emblem, or was it ever used on a US car of some sort (and hopefully still obtainable) ?

The car is going back to the owner next weekend either way, but I'd like to know what my options are.

Thanks!

Jim
found this on the "internet"

-The Australian “by Chrysler” emblems are a series of car logos that were used by Chrysler Australia from 1966 to 1981. They featured the word “Chrysler” in a stylized font, with a small “by” above it, and the name of the Australian model below it. The emblems were usually placed on the front grille or the rear boot lid of the cars.

-The Australian “by Chrysler” emblems were discontinued in 1981, when Chrysler Australia was sold to Mitsubishi Motors and renamed as Mitsubishi Motors Australia. The last car to use the emblem was the [Chrysler Sigma], which was based on the Japanese Mitsubishi Galant.

Found this on Ebay
Australia 1971 1972 1973 Chrysler Valiant 'by Chrysler' Trunk ? Emblem NICE

Price:
US $34.99
US $7.85 Standard Shipping. See detailsfor shipping
Located in: Statham, Georgia, United States
1696768771441.png

1696769046821.png

That blows. Real easy to tell if it's a fresh break. Look at the ends where it's broken. You'll see fresh shiny metal if you did it. Weathered dull metal if you did not.

If a replacement is not an option I can duplicate it and have it 3D printed in metal that can be painted and polished.

Yes, it looks as though the original one used both pins and adhesive, for some reason.

And the break was clean/"fresh". Not sure how one can break an emblem with a towel, but it appears that I managed to do just that!

I bought the one on eBay listed elsewhere in this thread, and if it's alright with you, once I receive it I'd like to send it off to you/take you up on your offer and have a copy made. Bazza still can't speak very well, but his wife said, "Do what you think is best".

And I guess what I "think is best" is to have the original (now broken) one, the eBay one, and a nice, fresh new one, and let Bazza decide what he wants to put on the car. Once he's up to it, that is.

I'll shoot you a PM later today, have to get out there as I'm "burning daylight".

Jim

Last edited:
Bummer. That might be really hard to find. I have been into Mopars for 50 years, and I have never seen the "byChrysler" emblem. I have seen a zillion "Chrysler" emblems, but the "by" in front of your emblem tells me that is an Ausie piece only. There is a way around it that will not be all that noticeable. I would do this only if you cannon fint a replacement. Buy a small roll of the double-sided trim adhesive tape. I would go to a car parts store here. Then very carefully, grind/cut the mounting posts off the back of the trim pieces. Then temporarily try gluing them together with a few drops of super glue. If the glue works, fine, if not, you will need an extra pair of hands to hold the pieces together while you perform the next step. Place the trim piece face down on a table. You are now going to use the double-sided trim adhesive tape to permanently hold the two pieces of that trim piece together. Cut a piece about 13mm (1/2") long and apply it to the back of the trim piece bridging the gap where the break is LEAVING the peel off plastic strip that protects the top side of the tape in place. Trim the tape so that you cannot see it from the front when installed. Now, cover the rest of the back of the trim piece with the tape leaving the peel off plastic strip that protects the top side of the tape in place. Now with a new/sharp razor blade or Exacto Knife blade, trim the tape so that you cannot see the tape from the front. Now peel off the plastic strip that protects the top side of the tape and carefully place the emblem in place AFTER cleaning/prepping the area. It is time consuming, but if you are careful, it will work fine. After all, most emblems are put on with double-sided tape nowadays.

I know exactly what you're getting at, and I have some 3M Trim Adhesive Tape here. I bought a new (used) emblem on eBay, but I think I'm going to take a "hybrid" and/or temporary approach on the fix and carefully remove the remaining tape on the car, and the broken piece of the emblem, clean them both, and then temporarily reapply the broken piece.

The car is going back home next weekend, and once Bazza has had some time to take it all in (the car hasn't been on the road for almost 3 years), I'll add this to the list of things to go over, and I'll repair this in whatever way he feels is appropriate.

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but I swear I've seen these same "by Chrysler" emblems on late 60s early 70s U.S. built New Yorkers, Newport's etc.
I'm sure you'll find one here if needed
IIRC, the '73-4 Cuda's have a "by Plymouth" emblem on the trunk panel.

You could also cut a thin piece of metal and JB weld it back together. I did this when restoring my grill is its invisible and keeps it original.

-
Back