Not sure what this noise is

-

ant72

Reaction score
I recently bought a 72 Dart w/318 out an 87 grand fury. There are a set of summit universal headers down to a 2.5 inch flow master exhaust. I think the exhaust is leaking between the header collector and exhaust flange. Check out the video the noise is clear once the car shifts. Thanks

[ame]http://youtu.be/4ZoHc8QnZHg[/ame]

Really hard to tell when you Granny it like that. Based on this clip, I'd say congratulations, you have a nice, normal, healthy Mopar. We can tell more if you take it out for another spin and FLOOR it. Make some NOISE. :burnout: Some of us are getting old and don't hear like we used to.....

How many seconds was that? I played it three times.It didnt help.
Whats that say, there, under my sig? Senior? Ohhh. SENIOR. I..... guess..... Im...... just......... slow.

Orange. And a half.

Had the exhaust checked out today, the flange from the header to the exhaust is alright.. it appears the header to engine gasket is leaking. I tried the hose trick but couldn't hear it. Once the exhaust was blocked off the leak could be heard. Sorry for the terrible video. The car is sluggish between shifts, which is probably normal being a stock 87 318 w/ a holley 750 carb on it.

-I have run several 318s with the small TQs, with great sucess. I think they were rated at 800cfm. Too big? probably. But they worked well.
-340s are only 7% bigger than 318s, and they were killer with 6-packs. Werent those rated at over 1000cfm?
-And in 72 or 73 on 340 cars they replaced the sub 600 AVSs with the small TQs and inspite of reduced C/Rs the engines lost no power.And in 71, I think, didnt the NHRA factor the TQ cars as 15hp more than the AVS cars?
-If it has 8 cylinders I wouldnt be afraid to put a 750 on almost anything.
-sorry for the rant.

I have run several 318s with the small TQs, with great sucess. I think they were rated at 800cfm. 340s are only 7% bigger than 318s, and they were killer with 6-packs. Werent those rated at over 1000cfm?

The 2bbl. & 4bbl. Are rated at different pressure drops. At the 2bbl. rate, the 6 pack clocks in @ 1250 IIRC this butt crack:30 early time of morning. Converted to a 4bbl, it is something in the 950 range. The trick to them working on a small displacement engine is the low flowing primary with the secondary side kicking in when the engine can use it. To early and it gets bogged down with air and fuel in a huge opening.

This is also what plagues the OP with the 750 on the 318. Just simply to much carb on a otherwise stock (or a low powered) engine.

-
Back