not sure what to do

-

rlevs

Reaction score
okay here is my problem i so want to buy an A-body (68 to 70 dart) i don't want to get in to some thing that is going to take a lot of work. why i hurt my back a few years ago and i am very limited on what i can and can't do, lower back fused, with lots of nerve damage. this is very hard on me because i was always the person that every one would call if they need some thing fixed, cars, house or what ever else. i have dragged my feet a lot because they need things done to them, and my money for a toy is limited. my wife also does not like the idea but very much under stands. so what should i do. and yes i know this my seem like a really dumb question but i don't want to buy something and be able to enjoy it.

Only you can make this decision. You say "my money for a toy is limited" and this could be a huge problem. If you cannot physically do repairs, obviously you'll have to pay someone, and labor can add up at an alarming pace, especially on an antique/ classic where you cannot just run down to the parts store and get parts off the shelf

In my own case "I'm beginning to wonder." I'm in the midst of a constant downfall of health, and working on my car is outright painful. In fact, just sitting here TYPING is painful. If it were not for the loader on the tractor (lifting and moving stuff) and the 2 post hoist to get the car up I would not be able to anything at all.

On the other hand........if you have other skills that you can trade, maybe you can find another "car guy" and trade some of your skills for some of his work.

Are there another Mopar friends in your area? Maybe buy a car together with them and agree on a split of work vs. paying for parts with him?

In boats and planes, many people buy shares of the craft to defray the costs but still enjoy the craft. They schedule use of the craft mutually and trade dates/usage as necessary. They Pool the expenses and split them based on the agreed share percentage. They could also have a certified mechanic as a partner and agree to his labor rate in advance, so he could do the repair/restoration cost and be reimbursed by the partners out of the cost pool. Otherwise, the repair and maintenance costs would all be borne by the partners' cost pool.

So with that model in mind, you cold find one or two other Mopar enthusiasts that would want to share a Mopar and it's associated costs with you, while you don't have to do any of the work if you don't want to.

i have a friend that can fix the car if it brakes and a body man that lives next door to me for the body work i think it is just a pride thing and yes my wife keeps telling me to get over it but it is really hard and i know just shut up and spend the cash but some days it is just hard two. and going in on it with some one else well it is a good idea but i want to call it mine and enjoy well i am going to stop winning now before some one offers me some cheese. thanks all

rievs.

I am physically disabled ...lots of damage in my c's and my l5 / sacrum and am in chronic pain.

I work on the car with my kids. They do the heavy stuff. I find the work very therapeutic. I will say that we have esentially avoided bodywork...I paid a bit extra and bought an essentially rust free frame.

What ever you do, good luck.

ian,

-
Back