Not sure where to post this question? Exhaust manifold paint?

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I just want to touch up my stock manifolds- nothing fancy or expensive; thinking flat black. I know of VHT paint but wondered if anyone had even used Barbecue paint from Lowes. I may spray it in a can and brush it on after some moderate brushing/cleanup.

Look at it this way............what are the relative temperatures that each paint is rated for, go with the one that withstands more heat.......clean well prepped surface makes all the difference in the world.

As an added bonus, if it turns out the BBQ paint withstands heat better.....it'll smell like hot sausage/peppers and onions every time you fire it up:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I've had horrible luck with VHT paint on a header collector. There's no way I'd use it on exhaust manifolds.

I've had horrible luck with VHT paint on a header collector. There's no way I'd use it on exhaust manifolds.
Yes, I've had mixed results w/hi temp paints on exhaust stuff over the years too. I thought white looked so cool, but NOT FOR LONG! This Duster wont be driven much and the Ebody manifolds are easy to get at for some occasional touching up. I'm sure the VHT is way more expensive than the Barbecue paint, so I'll keep that in mind, and also will look at the RUSTOLEUM STUFF cause I know the cast iron likes to turn orange!

I'm so tired of pissing with the next thing that supposedly WORKS on manifolds. Or " you're not applying it right" . From now on I'll be using calyx, no false claims, it is what it is. A company up the road here called TP tools sells it for like $20 a container that lasts for years. 2¢ happy new year

The paint used on a woodstove doesent burn off if applied correctly. But get the manifolds wet when they are hot,and likely rust will show up. No matter what you use,prep is more important than the finish itself.

I used the VHT exhaust paint on my slant six manifold. I wire brushed the whole thing and rinsed if off with water. Sprayed several light coats of the black VHT paint and used regular blue engine paint on the intake manifold. Held up really well for a couple years of daily abuse. I pulled it out in favor of a V8 and it still looked great!

The can said chrysler blue but it certainly looked like ford blue.
IMAG0354.jpg

I used a ceramic "paint" on some Pro-parts headers and they held up well. It was white and said it had ceramic powder in it, whatever. I sprayed it on, let it flash and then let it idle for 30 minutes per the can. Worked great. Every hi temp paint i have looked at stresses you need to heat cure it right after you spray it. My Hookers were shedding their silver hi temp paint for months becasue I never cooked them. BBQ paint at 5.99 a can, why not?

I have a couple friends who have had good results with Eastwood manifold paints.
Thanks, and yes it had good press, but its pricey- which was one of my concerns in the original post; this does not go along with my plan on this low buck car.

Thanks, and yes it had good press, but its pricey- which was one of my concerns in the original post; this does not go along with my plan on this low buck car.

So than get some Krylon or Rustoleaum, fire the car up, and watch it melt off. You get what you pay for.
Eastwood paint is on sale for $12.00 a can. If you cant afford that, than this hobby might not be your best choice. Spend a couple extra bucks, get good paint, and move on. :)

IMG_20141227_162841032_HDR-2.jpg

IMG_20141111_142205337.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back