Nothing like some much needed maintenance

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Gotta leave for the 40 Grand race at Norwalk on Thursday so I’m pushing it a little here. I told you guys the cars been running great running a 6.02 and 6.04 last weekend but it’s smoking bad on warmup and on the transbrake, real bad. I bought these heads used and damaged around 2007 and ported them around 2008-2009 for a buddy and ended up buying them back when he didn’t use them. I know the valve guides have never been changed so we are pushing those. My plans were to pull the intake and change out the intake gaskets and then
Recoat the epoxy on the tubes from my 2008 porting. When I pulled the intake today the gaskets do look to have been leaking as there is some oil in the port’s sitting on the closed valves. I also found a stain leading to the carb gasket and the rubber hose on my leanout valve practically fell off from being split. It a wonder this car ran as consistent as it has been. Because of time it will get a new piece of rubber line for now but I’ll be redoing this with a different material. Hopefully be going back together tomorrow.

AA7466E7-6A32-4289-9CEC-9B0CCAB9C8E4.jpeg

44B2E2F8-8692-49D5-B247-894A1682C7B1.jpeg

C4FAFF31-503E-4942-84A6-8872FDA2667A.jpeg

76AB8128-A596-4A51-BF59-A9CC7B76ADB1.jpeg

I sure wish I had my new set of head’s finished and ready to go on. I hate to do this all over again in a month or two.

I would think that stain would be leading FROM the carburetor gasket, right?

It's always something isn't it! I'm at the track tonight for tnt before tomorrow's race and I'm having problems with the trailer winch.
Gonna have to have help getting in and out of the trailer by hand this weekend. At least the car is running good.

It's always something isn't it! I'm at the track tonight for tnt before tomorrow's race and I'm having problems with the trailer winch.
Gonna have to have help getting in and out of the trailer by hand this weekend. At least the car is running good.

Well like you said the car is running good. I put a new winch in my new trailer back in 2017 and haven’t hooked it up yet. Lol

I sure wish I had my new set of head’s finished and ready to go on. I hate to do this all over again in a month or two.

Went digging and found the flowsheet on my new set of heads. I couldn’t do my own valve jobs back then so that should help and I learned a few more things. This head was just a hair jumpy at .700 and I think the valve job will calm that. Can’t wait to get back on these.

12164023-A186-46FB-97D1-8EA8F6F8FBD2.jpeg

“Oh crap! We gotta get these repairs made and win the race or Uncle Jesse is gonna loose the farm.” (Cue the 80’s montage music)
LMAO!
Syleng1

Been a busy week between the engine work
And getting the slicks changed out, balanced, and installed. Changed the oil and put the diaper back on, loaded up the duster, and got everything switched over from the truck to the motorhome. As much as i
Love these big money races I either have to pick
Up the pace working or really cut back on how many of these races I attend. Between car maintenance, loading up the race car, washing clothes, shopping, and loading the motorhome it’s enough to tire an
Oldman out. Ohhh well time to wash up and go to Walmart. Can’t get in till 2pm tomorrow and I don’t care if I get electric or not so no big rush getting there tomorrow.

DD4D5B6D-463C-4630-9932-A55CC69D4759.jpeg

Ok I’m going to start this out by saying I’m glad I had a shopping list. It took me twice as long to shop today than it usually does. The last time I saw this many good looking women was at the Miss America contest before they let guys enter. I’m telling you I would be looking for something on a shelf and forget what I was looking for. If I find a cat lover in the bunch I might give marriage another try.

I don't understand how you get 1/10 of the stuff done that you do.

Me and Old Goat 2.0 will be heading to New England Dragway tomorrow for this weekends New England 10Ks. Kind of in the same boat as you John, way too much time spent sitting around. At least I got my mid season maintenance done a couple of weeks ago. Gotta pick up my motorhome from the repair shop tomorrow morning as the cooling unit on the refrigerator went south and had to have it replaced. Then hookup it up to the trailer, load up clothes and goodies for the weekend, also gotta go see my fuel guy and pick up 10 gallons of Renegade Fuels finest.

NED.jpg

Nice 200 mile trip to Norwalk and I arrived safely. Gated opened at 2 and I pulled in at 2:30. I never worry about getting electricity as I carry two quiet generators. I little windy driving out. 100’s or 100’s of racers waiting to check in. Sure beats working for a living.

07446B00-912A-49D0-8D8D-0BB9C159DDF3.jpeg

Me and Old Goat 2.0 will be heading to New England Dragway tomorrow for this weekends New England 10Ks. Kind of in the same boat as you John, way too much time spent sitting around. At least I got my mid season maintenance done a couple of weeks ago. Gotta pick up my motorhome from the repair shop tomorrow morning as the cooling unit on the refrigerator went south and had to have it replaced. Then hookup it up to the trailer, load up clothes and goodies for the weekend, also gotta go see my fuel guy and pick up 10 gallons of Renegade Fuels finest.

View attachment 1716135805

And there lies a big part of my problem. I hate paying someone to do something that I can learn to do. And for me to continue that has to change. My 3/4 ton Dodge truck and my Malibu both need struts. I’m not a mechanic and I hate doing work like that but will probably end up doing it. Same with bodywork I need it on three vehicles but I know I’m going to do it. It’s just another load on my mind and I better get over it.

Go and have some fun on the track. If you win some $$ and kick some *** it will all be worth it. Heck even just to get out and have some fun will be worth it.
Good luck John and let us know how it goes.

Well I stopping to talk to the young man at the M/T booth and he confirmed what I’ve always done. Hard burnout on my first pass on new slicks. He said I should pick up .01-.02 in my 60 foot on the 2nd or 3rd pass. Just ran a [email protected] with a 1.302 sixty foot. I was in the last group called (green) but air went from 434 feet to 1489 by time I ran. Good news is changing the intake gaskets appeared to fix my smoking issue.

-
Back