Now, Don't Jinx Me! Finally, A Red Update for you all. . .

-
Weird work arounds: I got rid of the old exhaust system in 2009, figuring to put on TTI. . .when we got ready to put the engine in and prepared to fire it up, we had nothing to direct the exhaust away from the starter and wiring. . .
. . .so, I built short tubes out of flex piping. . .if you look close you can see it hanging down underneath.

Darned thing sounds mean open chambered.

Other Southern engineering: No power steering, but the double pulley pattern has to have a power steering pump. . .so, fabbed an idler to take up slack for the water pump. Worked for over thirty plus years. . .

Wife said she would NOT ride in it without A/C. . .

. . .but had to make room for the Thermostat housing on top of the Weiand Stealth intake, so. . .more fabrication to jack the compressor up on one side. . .

. . .so far so good. The hood closes. . .

likewise the funny triangle air filter on top of the 4 barrel. 2 plane intake too high for a normal pie plate filter. . .

Attachments

• DSCI0110.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCI0111.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCI0112.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 320
There is the "Header Tube". . .

The work bench, more interior parts, the '67 vert that belongs to my daughter. . .

Attachments

• DSCI0116.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCI0114.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 297
I like the story and rebuild.
I bet you are glad you kept it all these years.

great thread! wonderful you have kept this car all these years too.

as I get older ( i'm 67) I have to think about living out the rest of my life and not winde up being any burden to my children. just hope I retain my mind and health till the end!

Thank you Sir. This car was what kept me sane as a young man, growing up worrying foolishly and needlessly about life and love (or lack thereof).

My intent with the post was to make some of the guys and gals here think. Hey, get help, buy it done if you have to and can afford it before you can't drive it any more- that's what happened to my Dad with his confusion: he wrecked his truck (solo accident thank goodness)- and we had to take the keys away.

It's what is so American- the freedom of the open road. Sad when a man loses that freedom.

This is incredible! I am humbled that you even mentioned my build as you have far surpassed me in quality and completion. I really sympathize with your roller-coaster ride; this and that have kept me out of the garage at all this summer and I'm sure the Duke is none too happy with me. But either ya got the mojo workin' or ya don't, and this year I don't.
You've really conveyed the heart and soul of a resto...it's not about 'building a car'. It's about restoring a cherished icon that is as much a part of your life as any person or animal could be...and has been with you through the ups and downs, twists and turns of your life. And you have captured that magnificently!

Great story, and the Fish looks really great. Nothing beats a red Fish. :cheers:

Thanks much for sharing your story. and your new found perspective. I pray that both will inspire someone else to see that life is indeed short and that success and value isn't measured in stuff, but in the relationships we build.
It's great when we can be helped along the way by doing projects together, that's where memories are forged, and affords the comfort that is enjoyed when being together isn't possible any longer.
Thanks again.

That Lil Red 67 looks amazing, nice work. What a labor of love. Sounds like so many memories and meaning for you and your family. That's so cool. I'm sorry to hear of your parents passing away. I've lost my dad, and I'm glad to hear you saying the changes you and your wife are making to enjoy life more. Its such a good reminder to us all, thank you.

Keep up the good work!

Joe

Sorry for your loss. Lost my mom 13 yrs ago, seems like yesterday....
Make time for all the good stuff in life.

Nice story and nice car!!!!:prayer:

Thanks guys. The kind words from you mean much. Out for 6, but back soon to finish the front. The nose and pass fender will have to be drilled for the letters and emblems that go on there (different year metal). The headlight bezels will be the hardest to massage into shape; the front end takes the brunt of everything. Have Cut out a few tools from oak to finess the aluminum into shape; then we will see what sand paper and polishing wheels can do....plus argent silver and satin black.

Hey there Gen2. Build is looking good. It feels good to do much of the work yourselves. I like your outlook to get it driving to enjoy it, then do a little more detail work as you have time. Good plan. It's great that your kids help too. Good luck on the rest and enjoy that sweet ride.

Wow!!!! What a great story about your cuda and how you have kept it all these years. Its more than just a car. Its years of memories. Sorry to hear about your folks passing. Sounds like you have some wonderful memories of them.

Your rebuild looks awesome. I hope my 67 turns out as well as yours is turning out.

Matt

Evening everyone. Had a few days off but had to get on a couple of other chores.

Chore #1 was a oil change, brake disc check and rotate tires for Mrs. Gen2cudas ride. . .

Attachments

• DSCI0123.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 120
Spent a lot of my time trying to clean the best of two pair of hood inserts with a Dremel and rouge. . .

. . .and getting the headlight buckets un-rusted.

Attachments

• DSCI0121.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCI0120.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCI0119.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 124
My garage on a Thursday evening.

Attachments

• DSCI0118.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCI0122.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 137
Being European, I'm not too familiar with the modern US cars but is that a little T-bird?

Yes Sir, that is indeed a T-bird, resto style. Actually built on a Jag chassis. . .just makes the parts cheaper to say "Ford". Unfortunately, Mopar's answer to a -Bird is a Viper. . .a little too pricey.

I have picked out the best of the grille inserts that I have been able to stockpile; I have selected the right side original primarily because it is in fair shape- and it still has the studs in fine shape on all sides.

This is my version of a buffer:

Attachments

• DSCI0127.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCI0128.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 88
This is a pair of 3/4 hp 2800 rpm capable drills mounted on a metal stand- all courtesy of our old friend Harbor Freight. I really dislike buying Chinese, but darn it is sure convenient and price friendly. The two drills are mounted with wood blocks between and under to level them- then a convenient cargo strap to hold them in place.

I couldn't justify the stand alone buffer. I probably won't need to buff anything after I get through with this process anyway, and this set up allows me to easily chuck-up the buffer I need when I need it.

I tried to turn the 1/2 hp grinder in the background into a buffer, but it has no torque. This does. I use a zip strip to hold the button down on the drill I am presently using. . .

-
Back