Now, Don't Jinx Me! Finally, A Red Update for you all. . .

-
This is some of my parts in their :before" shape:

Attachments

• DSCI0115.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCI0125.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCI0126.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 96
I am starting with dent straightening: I take the piece, turn it so that the backside of the surround is accessible, place the front side of that portion in a dished out piece of wood corner trim, secure the piece to be wacked on with furniture clamps, then use a light hammer and oaken tools to work what are dents in the side you see into "peaks" on the front face. So, a crater on the visible side is pushed back out into a small risen area.

I use whatever is available to straighten the piece of aluminum: small flat screw drivers, metal punches, a blunted chisel and shaped wooden implements to work the metal back into some semblance of its original shape.

The anodizing on the aluminum is a pain, but fortunately not very thick on the pieces I am working. 80 grit and a palm sander takes the material down rapidly- including those "peak" areas on what will be the visible side.

I cut the metal down until basically level, then start the process to remove the heavy scratches: palm sand with 150 grit, then move to 320 with a hand sanding tool, then on to 500 and 1000 grit directly by hand. Labor intensive; I do begin to see a shine by the time I get to the 500 grit.

If you look real close, you can pick out part of the dents that need to be worked into "peaks".

Attachments

• DSCI0129.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCI0130.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 101
Getting there. Getting there. You can see the camera lense in the metal.

Attachments

• DSCI0136.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCI0135.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCI0132.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 83
I intend to repaint the argent silver inside piece, and the black stripe that is in the lowered portion of the surround. Here are the previously mentioned attachment studs:

Attachments

• DSCI0139.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCI0140.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCI0141.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 77
Then, on to the buffers. Grey stick compound to cut a bit more metal and to polish; white to remove the scratches and polish more. Also have red rouge if I get ambitious.

These are intended as driver quality, but: it is so hard to hang rough parts on the car without at least making the effort to clean and improve them somewhat. I intend for them to still wear some blemishes, just not so many as they do now!

The left side will be more difficult, as will the headlight bezels. The headlight bezels have an extra screw hole found in '68 parts and a lot more weathering and dents. I haven't found so many examples to buy- and my original I smashed pretty much into junk on the rear of a Ford F-150.

The left grille was also smashed in the same impact. I have a two whole surrounds in poor shape, with the attaching studs all but rusted away. I am going to have to replace those studs in some fashion. . .and am leaning toward breaking down a grille completely into component parts by cutting the rivets, then processing the parts into "clean" pieces I would hang on a car (the straighten and polish routine), then replace the studs with equivalents as I pop rivet the pieces back together. Paint after.

The complete right side has taken about a full day to straighten and polish. . .

. . .but the prices I have seen for grilles when I can find them. . .!

To be continued, of course. Thanks for reading:D

-
Back