Now for something completely different!

-

Mouse action

Reaction score
So I was motoring down the road and came to a nice straight stretch,so I stabbed the gas and off I went ,,,,till BOOM,,, I thought I blew it up .but then I found this,,could that be my problem? I hope.....
156397A7-81B1-46DD-ADBB-083791B9991C.jpeg

Wow, hope it didn't domino into other issues! Too much engine compartment heat? It maybe mounted vertical when should be horizontal? Spitballing here...

I remember reading that oil filled coils should be mounted vertically whereas an epoxy filled coil can be mounted horizontal or vertical.

I remember reading that oil filled coils should be mounted vertically whereas an epoxy filled coil can be mounted horizontal or vertical.
Ford mounted coils Horizontal and all of my old farm tractors are vertical but tower pointing down so this may be true on the newer coils but not on the old ones.

Is that a “High Viberation” blaster 2? Was the volts going to the coil too high and thus over heating it? How old is it?

Depending upon the age of the coil, MSD might have some 'splaining to do. It's worth the shot in my opinion.

First check if the coil was compatible/recommended with the specific ignition box you have, even if it's MSD also.

i have quite a few dodge trucks from 79-93. on most of the coils that are mounted horizontally, pull the coil wire out and it leaks the oil from it. changed to vertical with old coil bracket fixed my concerns.

i have quite a few dodge trucks from 79-93. on most of the coils that are mounted horizontally, pull the coil wire out and it leaks the oil from it. changed to vertical with old coil bracket fixed my concerns.

I was told that most of the heat is made in the tower area that's why you want the coil tower horizontal or pointing down so it has oil covering it.

If the coil leaks it is bad.

I ran into a problem with a 318 in a 74 Duster. It ran like crap shaking and missing when I first started each day. Would smooth out after running for a while and I believe it was an MSD blaster 2 coil I had mounted horizontally. I then ordered an Epoxy filled coil and so far no recurrence of the problem. I also have Mopar orange box and a Jegs distributer and runs good and coil is horizontal.

Been using Blaster 2s for decades, mounting in factory brackets. That one's defective. Nothing else.

Well decades old stuff is a lot better than the new China **** everybody is selling now a days.

Found this on the instructions
“The Blaster Coil is designed to mount in most factory canister coil mounts. MSD also offers a Chrome Coil Bracket, PN 8213. It is recommended to mount the PN 8202, PN 82023 and 8223 coils in an upright position. The High Vibration Coil, PN 8222, can be mounted in any position due to its epoxy potting compound”
Go figure..it’s good till it ain’t.

Found this on the instructions
“The Blaster Coil is designed to mount in most factory canister coil mounts. MSD also offers a Chrome Coil Bracket, PN 8213. It is recommended to mount the PN 8202, PN 82023 and 8223 coils in an upright position. The High Vibration Coil, PN 8222, can be mounted in any position due to its epoxy potting compound”
Go figure..it’s good till it ain’t.
I rest my case.

Decades ago I was helping my brother-in-law TSing no start. Found he was causing coils to go bad, replaced bad condenser , no more coil failure, never seen one open up though.

-
Back