nuetral safety switch

-

67'barracuda273

Reaction score
hi i am in the process of getting my car running and my nuetral safety switch is bad. anyone know where i can get one for a 904 tranny from a 1967 barracuda? its got the one post wiring.

Go ahead and replace it with the three poster....one is the ground for the starter relay the other two controll the reverse lights.....if the threads match you can use either....if you want NEW United auto parts roseville Michigan or Roseville C/P also in roseville or pretty much any junk yard I believe the NSS is the same for a good number of years pretty close to the present

The old single wire switch is pretty hard to come by and expensive when you do find one. Like 66cuda said you can use a 3 pin switch. The middle pin is the one you hook your wire to. Get one for a 69 trans. and it'll drop right in. NAPA sells the pigtail for the 3 prong switch. If you want originality try Year One, Laysons, or any other restoration parts supplier.

hi i am in the process of getting my car running and my nuetral safety switch is bad. anyone know where i can get one for a 904 tranny from a 1967 barracuda? its got the one post wiring.
I have one for a small cost...PM me..the 904 one post and a 727 are the same animal...I have both of those trannys

Any real auto parts store should be able to get you one.

Unfortunately some parts get discontinued after time. Such as this 42 year old switch. I've tried every auto parts store around and every one says the same thing about this part, discontinued. My local NAPA has a couple guys that are very competent in finding parts if their out there.

3-prong switch is not discontinued. Standard-BlueStreak #NS-11 or NAPA-Echlin #NS6562. You can likely get the 1-prong '65-'67 switch from Old Car Parts Northwest or Cowger's Antique Ignition Parts. I know Andy Bernbaum has the '60-'64 Torqueflite Neutral Safety Switch, but since he does not support vehicles newer than '62, he likely does not have the '65-'67 switch.

I never said the 3 prong switch was discontinued. If you would have read all entries you'd see I earlier mentioned (post #3) the 3 prong switch can be substituted and that they are readily available at most any auto parts store.

The old single wire switch is pretty hard to come by and expensive when you do find one. Like 66cuda said you can use a 3 pin switch. The middle pin is the one you hook your wire to. Get one for a 69 trans. and it'll drop right in. NAPA sells the pigtail for the 3 prong switch. If you want originality try Year One, Laysons, or any other restoration parts supplier.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the 3 wire switch will work. It will bolt into the trany, but the "Rooster comb" on the valve body, is shaped differently.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the 3 wire switch will work. It will bolt into the trany, but the "Rooster comb" on the valve body, is shaped differently.

I'm using one on my 68 and it works fine. You are right that they changed the rooster comb and not all 3 prong switches will work. I think it was late 70's~early 80's they changed the rooster comb but I don't remember for sure.

Early rooster combs may not operate the reverse lamp portion of the later 3 prong switch. Any rooster comb should operate the neutral safety portion of either switch.

Unfortunately some parts get discontinued after time. Such as this 42 year old switch. I've tried every auto parts store around and every one says the same thing about this part, discontinued. My local NAPA has a couple guys that are very competent in finding parts if their out there.

I got one not long ago but we could not find one this weekend. A & A Transmissions has reconditioned ones but they are around $50.

-
Back