Nuetral Safety

-

cosworth

Reaction score
I have a 74 duster v8 manual. Put a engine harness in the car last weekend as the old harness had been completely hacked up and torn apart by the previous owner. Went to turn the engine over nothing, except AM radio static. This is the first time ive tried to turn the car over with this engine etc (completely torn apart when i got it) I was running this off a battery charger so maybe I should try with a real battery first. But I was thinking maybe neutral safety If im thinking right the manual trans only has a reverse switch on the trans (2 prong connector and switch) Where would nuetral safety be on these cars?

I don't think there is one on most stick cars, but if there was it was usually on the clutch pedal.
Use a battery.
Chargers themselves don't put out near enough amps.

74 models had a seatbelt interlock circuit also. I dont know if that applies since the harness has been changed.

Only part of the harness i changed was the engine harness. Now that you say it i was wondering about those plugs on the floor where the seats go. So the car wont start without those belts buckled?

as long as the starter relay sees a ground, it will start in any gear. i went from a stick to auto in my 73 , all i had to do is ground the relay. the 74 and up have a seatbelt interlock that can be bypassed. my ground wire is yellow coming off the relay.

Ill have to make sure im grounded. Does anyone have a pic of their starter relay up close, as I said the whole harness was torn out and apart theres a green wire coming off the relay I think is ground but would rather not test it without knowing.

Starter relay should have a yellow wire which is signal from ignition switch. Any other terminal would be ground wheather it went through a neutral safety switch to get to ground or not.
Correct starter relays for typical manual trans builds didn't have a terminal for a ground wire. Those were chassis grounded by their mounting bolts. That may have changed in later models and very likely changed where the seatbelt interlock was present.

the clutch safety, seatbelt interlock, go to ground on later models

Attachments

• relay2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 625
Anyone got a link of where i can look at the full wiring diagram?

If i grounded the clutch safety dark green to the body that should bypass all neut safety/seatbelt interlock right?

If i grounded the clutch safety dark green to the body that should bypass all neut safety/seatbelt interlock right?

on the relay, ground is marked with a "G" . the connectors that belong on the relay are keyed , so there is no possibility to mix them up. on my 73 manual car, my ground wire that went to the clutch safety is yellow, so all i did was ground it off the relay to the body. if your interlock or clutch safety happens to be green, then yes, you can just ground it to the body off the relay or just ground the relay and leave the connector unplugged. i dont have a 74 diagram. if you are unsure, you can take a seperate connector and wire, plug it into the G on the relay and just ground it. remember, the car will start in any gear now.

Attachments

• relay copy.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 587
You may have TWO problems
1 As mentioned above you may have a clutch switch, already addressed above

2 Seat belt interlock

So far as the interlock, THIS part of the equation is in series with the yellow start signal coming from the key. Look for a relay box under the hood with a reset button. That relay should have two large yellow or yellow/ tracer wires. Connect them together.

In other words you twist the key, but the interlock must be "made" to apply power on through to the start relay BUT the start relay has no ground because the clutch switch is not depressed, so you ground that wire to allow the start relay to finally fire.

16kx4d2.jpg

Ill have to look but I dont think I have that relay. The engine harness im using is out of an earlier car without seatbelt interlock.

Is this the switch? And if I decide to by pass it alltogther I just need to connect the 2 yellow wires together? I assume the 2 blacks are grounds and can remain loose?

IMG263.jpg

Thanks again for all the help. At least im not going to be chasing down wire gremlins yet.

!!THAT!! is IT!!

If you want to remove it (and in that condition who would not) I'd just twist and crimp or solder/ heat shrink the yellows, then cut back the others and heat shrink or tape the ends, then tape them into the harness.

I had been wondering for the past month what that little thing was!

-
Back