Numbers matching...?

-

MIKEonMOPAR

NEVER FORGET THE 343
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After purchasing my first classic MOPAR, '73 Cuda 340. I took it to a local restoration shop to have it looked at after I drove it almost 1300 miles home. The guys at the shop are replacing some gaskets, oil pan, tank, headers and some other minor stuff to keep me on the road. The car is a nice driver quaility and I just need it to be that, a driver. However the restoration shop guys stated that its an all original, numbers matching engine, 4 speed trans, and rear end.

My question is...What does this mean to me?
They said its a perfect canidate for total restoration but what would make it worth that?
Is it worth more money how it is now? Its not the origal color inside or out but is still in nice shape.
Any and all info on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Mike

Numbers matching means it is the same engine/trans/rear that the car was born with, never been replaced. Worth more $? In alot of cases where the car is restored to show it is, driver quality car too is a good quality for a restoration when all the numbers match.

IMO restoring a car is a bad investment. However buying a restored car could be a good investment.

If the car was driven 1300 miles it must be in decent shape. I would enjoy it the way it is making only minor improvements or repairs as needed or wanted.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Love this site! keep the info rolling haha

Thanks StrokerScamp, I'm also a member over there but it seems like theres never anyone on that site. Much more activity going on over here!

I agree with zhandfull, in today's economy it seems you can buy a restored car a lot cheaper than you can restore unless of course you do the majority of the work yourself, and after that trip I would have to enjoy driving it around a while as is

I would say it depends on whether it is a bad investment. If you enjoy it and it makes you happy doing a restoration, there's no price on it. I'm going a lot further with my car than I thought I would and am having a great time. Doing it at my own pace. Although it's nuffin special and non numbers matching, it's still a lot of fun. That's all that counts....unless of course you're doing it to make money, then you need to count every cent, but that's no fun.

Thanks StrokerScamp, I'm also a member over there but it seems like theres never anyone on that site. Much more activity going on over here!

Yeah we try to keep things jumpin over here.

as stated earlier, there are numbers on the tranny/motor/rad support, etc that match the vin..hence; numbers matching. Now,don't start to drool over mega bucks on a sale because the big buck cars have gone through so much time and $$$ that make them a barrett/jackson car. If You want a nice car/driver the car would be worth keeping nice the # match does add to the value , and significantly to the right buyer.

I think the operative phrase here is: "I took it to a local restoration shop". Convincing you to do a total "ground up" restoration and hopefully having them do the work, is their business and there's nothing wrong in that, but is that really what you want? If you like driving the car and it meets your needs, then enjoy it as it is and fix it up as you go along.
The cost of a total restoration is astronomical and will far exceed the value of the finished project. If you watch Barrett Jackson, Mecum or any of the other auctions, you'll see that most cars sell for much less than the cost of restoration. It sounds like you've got a really nice car there, enjoy it!

I think the operative phrase here is: "I took it to a local restoration shop". Convincing you to do a total "ground up" restoration and hopefully having them do the work, is their business and there's nothing wrong in that, but is that really what you want? If you like driving the car and it meets your needs, then enjoy it as it is and fix it up as you go along.
The cost of a total restoration is astronomical and will far exceed the value of the finished project. If you watch Barrett Jackson, Mecum or any of the other auctions, you'll see that most cars sell for much less than the cost of restoration. It sounds like you've got a really nice car there, enjoy it!

Thats a good one Lrazor, I missed that on the resto shop...Drive it the way it is. If it's too nice you won;t drive it.... Like the others said you drove around 1300 miles know problems, keep her going. Just so you know we like the E-bodies too...and we do need pics

i think the operative phrase here is: "i took it to a local restoration shop". Convincing you to do a total "ground up" restoration and hopefully having them do the work, is their business and there's nothing wrong in that, but is that really what you want? If you like driving the car and it meets your needs, then enjoy it as it is and fix it up as you go along.
The cost of a total restoration is astronomical and will far exceed the value of the finished project. If you watch barrett jackson, mecum or any of the other auctions, you'll see that most cars sell for much less than the cost of restoration. It sounds like you've got a really nice car there, enjoy it!
x2

the restoration shop guys stated that its an all original, numbers matching engine, 4 speed trans, and rear end.

My question is...What does this mean to me?

Thanks
Mike
what does that mean to you?
It means it's a really old car, with a really old drivetrain. I'd get rid of it if I were you.

(and FABO has 22,400 members- almost all of whom would be willing to take it off your hands:D)

seriously, though- we do need pics:cheers:

sorry these were quick pick i took the minute i got home. If you want ill have some better ones when its back from the shop!

Attachments

• DSCF4272.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 205
couple more...

Attachments

• DSCF4274.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF4277.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF4278.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCF4280.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 186
under side still looks to have protective coating... slight rust in trunk and a few cancer spots here and there...and deff some bondo

Attachments

• DSCF4279.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF4281.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF4283.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF4288.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF4286.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF4289.jpg