NV 3500 swap, anyone interested?

-

Flyinbryan

Man made, man fix!
Reaction score
Hey guys, would anyone be interested in the NV 3500 5 speed swap I'm doing on a 74 Swinger? Didn't want to waste a time or take up space if no one cares.

Attachments

• swinger trans swap 001.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,685
well i was looking to do a 200r4 behind my slant but this is interesting. can you tell me more about this trans. i know nothing about it. also all the good stuff like fitment

Dunno about nobody caring, but the gear spread is gonna be horrible, and its rated for 300 ft lbs of torque... so, my question is why?

Hey I'm interested. They bolt right to the block and you can get them at PickNPull. Maybe not big for HP, but its a 5 speed...

1st, It's a 5 speed and I see no pan, is it a manual?

B- is that behind a V8 or slant?

Lastly if the 1st question is a yes than hell yeah I wanna see and hear more about it!

1st, It's a 5 speed and I see no pan, is it a manual?

B- is that behind a V8 or slant?

Lastly if the 1st question is a yes than hell yeah I wanna see and hear more about it!

It's a 5 speed manual that will go behind a V8. Came in Dakota's. Not the greatest gear spread, but its a 5 speed manual and they're easy to find.

Got one in my 01 Dakota sport, IMHO, they are junk! Crap syncs, can't power shift, weak shift towers (they used them in GMs). No Attack to the OP or anyone else, just been fighting one for over four years. Not to mention the internal slave, that is a ***** to bleed.......:banghead::protest:
if you like em go for it! I prefer the good old A-833!!!!!!!

Got one in my 01 Dakota sport, IMHO, they are junk! Crap syncs, can't power shift, weak shift towers (they used them in GMs). No Attack to the OP or anyone else, just been fighting one for over four years. Not to mention the internal slave, that is a ***** to bleed.......:banghead::protest:
if you like em go for it! I prefer the good old A-833!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're the greatest transmission out there by ANY means.

But, the OP is obviously already doing one. AND, if you've just got a stockish 318, and maybe even a lame automatic trans, the NV3500 would be a cheap, easy to find transmission to get you into a 5 speed manual. No, you're not going to tear up the track, but for a budget cruiser I can see how this might not be the worst idea ever.

And if someone else is already doing it, why not see how?

OK, thanks for the interest! A little history first. The car is a 74 Swinger I picked up for a grand, /6 and 3 speed manual on the column shift. The kid I got it from did all he could to keep the car going (it was his daily driver). The engine blew a rod through the block so that was it, still ran though! Anyway, I've swapped the K member to a V8, cleaned up a 318 work mule I had and went to work. I really wanted a floor shift car. After pricing what it would take to do the 833 swap is was depressed:( I found a 2000 full size Ram 1500 that was equiped with the 3500 5 speed. After $200 bucks and 2 hours on my back I brought home the trans, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, slave and master clyinders, driveshaft and a few extras. I know alot of you will disagree with this swap but I've got a limited budget and a wife who watches the bank account like a hawk!! Ill post more pics tonight. Its still a work in progress but I've made milestones. I'll answer any questions anyone might have, and thanks for any input y'all might have.

I takes some "custom" cutting. Shift tower sticks up a little more than I would like. More photos to come. Oh and I don't have alot of fancy metal working tools so don't laugh to hard at some of my handy work.

.....dude, couldn't you have posted a month ago. :lol: ..VERY interested as well...where exactly does the shifter come through the floor?

The shift tower will end up almost under the ashtray. It still clears though, the tower is pretty tall. I'll post more pics tonight, I'm at work at the moment. Oh and I'm a little computer challenged :D.

Always interested in clever ideas and photos. A manual is great for mileage. People on a M-B diesel site I frequent spend much more time and money putting in a manual. Disregard the naysayers who think every car is a race toy or you always must follow the cookie-cutter approach.

Personally, I hate shifting and don't have that Euro mind-set. Like most Americans, my right hand is occupied with eating, and sometimes the left too with a knee holding the wheel.

Thanks! I'll get a lot of pics up tonight. It's not a "race" car just a a project I've always wanted to do. Plus I have little $$$ in it:D

So here are a couple of shots of whats needed to make it fit.

Attachments

• swinger trans swap 005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 524
  • swinger trans swap 003.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 470
And here is the floor after I determined there was enough butchery.

Attachments

• swinger trans swap 025.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 486
  • swinger trans swap 027.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 504
After cutting cross member and rebuilding...dude my computer sux! Trying to get more pics going.

Attachments

• swinger trans swap 029.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 508
Oh, the previous owner "installed" buckets out of a 99 Mustang. Just for the discriminating viewer who may have caught an eye on the seat backs. I know lets hear it......

Having trouble uploading photos, so they may jump around alot. The cutting of the cross member sucked but I tied it together pretty well. I wanted a good "pad" for the shift boot to sit on (nice and flat).

Attachments

• swinger trans swap 032.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 749
So trans will fit now. But what about the cross member support and mount. I hacked up the original support and made a trans mount out of a new engine mount I had laying around.

Attachments

• swinger trans swap 023.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 509
-
Back