NV4500 swap.

-

JSmith

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've got a 1984 dodge d100 with a 318 and a automatic 727. The transmission is going bad and next summer I'm putting a NV4500 in it. However, I don't know what bell housing I need. Anyone have the answer to this? Thanks.

You're going to need an adapter for a regular 318 bellhousing.

If memory serves, the NV4500 wasn't available until 1989 or so- by then they had gone to hydraulic clutch linkage, as opposed to your '84 using a mechanical clutch linkage.
Since you are converting from an automatic, you'll need to adapt the later hydraulic linkage and components to your '84, and then use the '89 and later NV4500 bell for a smallblock.
Be aware that the Dodge NV4500 came in at least 2 versions- one for the smallblock and one for the Cummins. There are differences to the input shaft that make them not interchangeable without swapping the shafts and associated hardware.

If memory serves, the NV4500 wasn't available until 1989 or so- by then they had gone to hydraulic clutch linkage, as opposed to your '84 using a mechanical clutch linkage.
Since you are converting from an automatic, you'll need to adapt the later hydraulic linkage and components to your '84, and then use the '89 and later NV4500 bell for a smallblock.
Be aware that the Dodge NV4500 came in at least 2 versions- one for the smallblock and one for the Cummins. There are differences to the input shaft that make them not interchangeable without swapping the shafts and associated hardware.
Do you know how difficult those are to find? Good LUCK!

I believe this is pretty much correct and I "think" the easiest way would be to drum up an equally rare late model SB bell that was out of the truck that the 4500 came out of. "Good luck with that"

I believe part of the reason they are rare is that the 1/2 tons got the smaller 3500

I believe this is pretty much correct and I "think" the easiest way would be to drum up an equally rare late model SB bell that was out of the truck that the 4500 came out of. "Good luck with that"

I believe part of the reason they are rare is that the 1/2 tons got the smaller 3500
Correct! Which is why I recommended the adapter.

Do you know how difficult those are to find? Good LUCK!
Amen- I've been trying for a couple of years to find one to swap into my '66 Sweptline. And when I do find one, it's ridiculous $$. Considering a Getrag instead; people seem to be swapping them out for the NVs, so they're considerably cheaper. But, there's a reason that they're swapping them out... :(

All good information. I'll probably just get the adapter. I use the truck as a daily driver and would rather have it working than have simplicity. I don't have the room ( or money) to have a designated "project" car, so I'm making small modifications as I have the money. :lol:

All good information. I'll probably just get the adapter. I use the truck as a daily driver and would rather have it working than have simplicity. I don't have the room ( or money) to have a designated "project" car, so I'm making small modifications as I have the money. :lol:
Contact Gill Welding in Tennessee. They can make you one. They made my slant 6 to T5 adapter.

Does anyone have a realistic comparison/ idea in mind of just how good or bad the NV3500 is, AKA either in Dakota or 1/2 T? Are they say, way weaker than an 833? About the same? What do you think, compared to the old NP 4 speed 435 used for years?

Something to keep in mind, I believe the NV4500 was behind some 4.7 V-8 in later half tons. The bell pattern on the 4.7 and 5.7 is same as old small block. LA and Magnum. Use the 318 truck flywheel with the 4.7 clutch assembly.

Don't be too quick to buy an adapter- you're swapping from an automatic and you don't even have a bellhousing of any kind yet. Once you start accumulating parts, you may get lucky and score the correct bellhousing... who knows. They'll be in the 3/4 ton and up trucks; flatbed/stakebeds and 1t. dumps are good sources, manual trannys are a little more common in workhorse trucks than in civvy pickups.

Something to keep in mind, I believe the NV4500 was behind some 4.7 V-8 in later half tons. The bell pattern on the 4.7 and 5.7 is same as old small block. LA and Magnum. Use the 318 truck flywheel with the 4.7 clutch assembly.
Only thing I've seen in 1/2 tons is the 3500

Only thing I've seen in 1/2 tons is the 3500
They also got the NV2500 and AX15 in some years- I've always thought those were Dakota-only, but I found a 2500 in one half ton and pulled a spare AX15 for my Dakota out of another... it seems like in some years they used whatever they could get the cheapest or was the most available (that almost sounds vaguely AMCish, doesn't it?).

Novak Adapters has quite an extensive knowledge base regarding common transmissions, transfer cases and engines on their site. It's biased towards 4WD vehicles, but 2WD is pretty much the same but simpler. Novak Conversions :: Manual

For reference, here are some pictures of a NV4500 out of a '92 2WD half ton with a 318 Magnum. It has a 21-spline input (not a typo, 21 and not 23)
EDIT actually the input is 1" - 19-spline.

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

Last edited:
My friend swapped a manual transmission into his automatic-from the factory Mopar using 'Lokar' components with a cable, tubes, and reservoir for the hydraulic clutch portions of his conversion-I believe he used a stock clutch pedal though.

That would be great. I plan on a 4wd conversion, but that's down the road.
I have a gas NV4500 & small block bellhousing if you want a picture of what you're looking for - mines a 4wd version but the bell is the same

I'll look through the local scrapyard with my buddy who is always tinkering with his truck and see what we can come up with.

-
Back