[WANTED] O D bell housing

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few small block bellhousings . 10.5. What is the difference on the OD . I will check

Some OD trans bearing retainers are 5.18 and won't work in a 4.8 bell.

I have one.

My bearing retainer is 5.18. My flywheel and cluch are new, and Im converting to an od trans and don't want to change all of that

DSCF0260.JPG
I machined my overdrive bearing retainer down to 4.80" to fit a Lakewood house. How many teeth on flywheel-130?
DSCF0260.JPG

yes, 10.5 small block car flywheel is 130. if you have a bellhouse with a 4.80" hole, a overdrive 5.125" bearing retainer can easily be turned down. some are 4.35" hole

again, some O/D bearing retainers have the bolts outside the circle that you would end up with if you tried to machine it to 4.8x

I machined a 5.125" outside diameter retainer with the large 4.16" diameter bolt circle down to 4.80" diameter no problem. what retainer do u speak of YY1?

There are two different OD bolt circles.

You can machine down the smaller one to fit in a 4.8 hole, but not the other one, as you would be machining off portions of the threaded holes..

It was kind of difficult to track down that info.

I kept reading posts about "simply" milling the retainer, but looking at mine, I knew that wasn't going to work.

Finally, I found a site that explained the multiple bolt circles and included all of them, not just the common ones.

If I had been able to do that, it would have saved me a ton of time.

Finding a small block 5.125 bell was not super easy, but fortunately they're not in demand, and therefore not terribly expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back