O2 sensor, need it or not?

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
Im replacing the cat converter on my 96 grand cherokee and the replacement doesn't have a hole for an O2 sensor. Do I need to worry about it? Its running a 318 magnum.

Thanks

Why would you NOT? The O2 sensor -- I'm assuming you have factory EFI -- is the most basic, most used of all sensors to determine if the fuel ratio of the system is correct.

It's probably required to pass smog check or DEQ in your state.

Info I had found when screwing with a 2007 GC O2 sensors

The O2 sensor is there primarily because of emissions! A second reason is to fine tune fuel management. And thirdly they indicate the state of the catalyst.

It was developed to ensure that the correct amount of oxygen is available for a reaction to take place in the CAT which needs O2 to convert other nasty gases to form less nasty gases. (Example carbon monoxide + oxygen = CO2.

The sensors upstream (before the Cat) are important for delivering the correct amount of oxygen and for fine tuning the air-to fuel ratio. They help determine the duration of time that the injectors stay open. The oxygen sensor measures the oxygen content from the exhaust stream and from this it can figure out if the fuel mixture is rich or lean

The downstream O2 sensors are for measuring the catalyst shelf-life. This will tell if the Cat is spent and needs replacement. This sensor has no effect on the engine performance if it the vehicle is OBDI (up to 1995).

Before you do that, you might want to consider getting a catalytic converter that's actually applicable to the vehicle you intend to install it on -- if the one you have doesn't have an O2S port, it's not the right one for your car.

If I am not mistaken, check the exhaust pipe behind the cat for the 2nd O2 sensor.
That is where it is on my 98 Dakota R/T...about a foot back and on the top of the pipe.

-
Back