O500 swap

-

ike61

Reaction score
I've seen some articles on swapping a O518 trans for a 727. has anybody used the O500 instead of the O518? If the O500 is physically smaller, maybe it wouldn't require floor pan and crossmember mods. this would be for a small block A-body.

A-518 and A-500....

the 518 is based on the 727...500 based on 904....yes 500 is smaller because it is a 904 from the OD unit forward...but they both use the same OD unit...which where the problem comes with the sheet metal...

the correct numbers are 46RH and 46RE for the 518
and the 500 is a 42RH..

As far as sheet metal is concerned, I beileve theres nothing that can't be massaged outta the way with a BFH. (Big Freakin Hammer)
The rear mount is more of a challnge IIRC. I know theres a site or two that have ready made mounts somewhere around here.

Unaware of any ready made mounts. The torsion bar crossmember of the unibody needs to be modified to allow for the OD section of the transmission, and the rear mount needs to be modified. In all, not too bad if you have a sawzall and a mig welder. You can't just cut the crossmember away, it supports the weight of the front end.

I plan to use a 42RH in my 65. I'll post pics eventually, but the project is on hold due to lack of cash.

-
Back