Obscure Or Odd Movies You Like Anyway

-
I may have to watch it again, it's been a minute. It sucks, I have about 1,600 movies in my collection but I spend all my time reading articles with titles like "Researcher Positionality - A Consideration of Its Influence and Place in Qualitative Research". Three years to go, then I will be able to watch movies again!

Everyone should read it. On the right side of page is Download full text.

Screenshot_20230915_091452.jpg

"The rocky horror picture show"

Can't remember how many Friday nights I spent attending the performance with all the theatrics of the audience. Good times for sure.

Monty Python movies.
People either love them or hate them.
I think that they are all brilliant...

I tried. I really did. Several times. I just couldn't do it. Cept for the cars it's cinematic garbage.
Most "car movies" from back then were like that- almost painful to watch. Remember Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry? Corvette Summer? The Wraith? Duel? The original Gone In 60 Seconds? Even our beloved Vanishing Point was nothing stellar, to be perfectly honest. It's all about how you approach them- if you go into it knowing that they're hokey as h*ll, they can be fun to watch for what they are. Heck, turn the sound off and add your own dialog with your friends over a cold case of your favorite brew... now there's some fun when there's nothing else but soccer and poker on TV!

Not so obscure but, 48hrs was just on not too long ago so, I watched it again. Forgot how much I liked that movie. The 2nd one...not so much. Oh, I'm in on Second Hand Lions also..Great movie.

Das Boot

The cook, the thief, his wife, and her lover

9.5 weeks

Journey to the center of the Earth ('59)

the Killing Fields

The Hunger

the Grand Budapest Hotel

Ha! I'd forgotten about The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and Her Lover. Helen Mirren nude, and the gangster drove a Dodge Dart. (??)

Das Boot was just a great movie!

Most "car movies" from back then were like that- almost painful to watch. Remember Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry? Corvette Summer? The Wraith? Duel? The original Gone In 60 Seconds? Even our beloved Vanishing Point was nothing stellar, to be perfectly honest. It's all about how you approach them- if you go into it knowing that they're hokey as h*ll, they can be fun to watch for what they are. Heck, turn the sound off and add your own dialog with your friends over a cold case of your favorite brew... now there's some fun when there's nothing else but soccer and poker on TV!
I won't click a DISAGREE on you but I don't agree at all with your opinions on the car movies.
Two Lane Blacktop was a ******* BORE HOLE. Seriously, it had far too many slow moving, bad dialog scenes that may have been true to life but they were terribly boring to watch.
DMCL had a plot. The acting was fair, the action was good. It didn't drag on like 2LB.
Corvette Summer was a product of it's time. I liked it, I still do.
The Wraith was campy, I'll admit.
Duel was a slow burn. Dennis Weaver played the role of a limp wristed, hen-pecked wimp that finally got revenge. Another slow burn but relatable.
The original Gone in 60 seconds had terrible production quality, lame acting, a paper thin story but excellent stunts.
Vanishing Point was excellent. You had to be of the mindset of a loner to really grasp the theme of Kowalski's story but it resonated with many.
I look at car movies on a different scale. I'm not expecting Academy Award caliber performances with them.

If you are planning a trip on Route 66 - Bagdad Cafe

No Mopars but one of the best car themed movies yet - Aloha Bobby and Rose

Maximum Overdrive (Machines take over the world - Emilio Estevez Maximum Overdrive (1986) ⭐ 5.4 | Action, Comedy, Horror

It Happens Every Spring - A College Chemistry professor accidentally invents a solution that repels wood like magnets repel each other. So of course he becomes a major league baseball pitcher. He uses his 'solution' as a hair tonic. He then rubs his head to get the solution on the ball. Nobody can hit his pitches. The ball hops over the bat Very Funny movie.

I won't click a DISAGREE on you but I don't agree at all with your opinions on the car movies.
Two Lane Blacktop was a ******* BORE HOLE. Seriously, it had far too many slow moving, bad dialog scenes that may have been true to life but they were terribly boring to watch.
DMCL had a plot. The acting was fair, the action was good. It didn't drag on like 2LB.
Corvette Summer was a product of it's time. I liked it, I still do.
The Wraith was campy, I'll admit.
Duel was a slow burn. Dennis Weaver played the role of a limp wristed, hen-pecked wimp that finally got revenge. Another slow burn but relatable.
The original Gone in 60 seconds had terrible production quality, lame acting, a paper thin story but excellent stunts.
Vanishing Point was excellent. You had to be of the mindset of a loner to really grasp the theme of Kowalski's story but it resonated with many.
I look at car movies on a different scale. I'm not expecting Academy Award caliber performances with them.
Pretty much what I was saying- It's all how you approach them. Watch them knowing what to expect, and you can enjoy them for what they are. I own them all, so it's not like I'm hating on any of them.

And we can't forget Forbidden Planet!
1694840812316.png

It's a hoot watching Leslie Neilson as a serious actor, and finding some of the most inappropriate times to insert your own dialog with some of his more famous lines...
Surely you can't be serious?
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
or
Nice beaver!
Thanks. I just had it stuffed.
Which obvioulsy brings up some more classics...
Airplane!
ANY of the Naked Gun movies.

Last edited:
-
Back