Odd Comment in Mopar Action..

-
Ain't they the lazy cheapo way to go. I won't use Green either.( except for text) I also won't use any of that expensive Tubular-a-arm-coil-over-k-member overkill on an A-body ! DON"T NEED THAT ! There are smarter and cheaper ways to go. IMFHO ! :thebirdm::bootysha::

Well, I have seen green bearings fail, once in my buddies Superbird and another time not long after in another buddies Roadrunner. I don't know the reason for the failure, but I can relay that Milton uses that Superbird hard and does quite a few burnouts in which the rear of his car is known to "walk" into oncoming traffic!! The Roadrunner is another car that is driven to the extreme, and it too had it's bearings go out. Last time I referenced these 2 cars in a Green bearing thread, I was lambasted for my tapered bearing opinion, and the well known mechanic who replaced the bearings was called a shadetree hack and unknowledgable about Mopar rearends. So take it for what you will, and use whatever you're comfortable with!!! Geof

Ain't they the lazy cheapo way to go. I won't use Green either.( except for text) I also won't use any of that expensive Tubular-a-arm-coil-over-k-member overkill on an A-body ! DON"T NEED THAT ! There are smarter and cheaper ways to go. IMFHO ! :thebirdm::bootysha::

ok that had to be the gayest post i have ever seen here.

No, thats not true at all, both sides have made there point, for all the web to see, isnt that the point of a discussion? The green bearings do work, but are probally never going to last like the factory tapered bearing. Some people build and drive chevies too, and they also think there ok. But I dissagree..........

I think this discussion was running well until Hack joined in..

Regardless, this posting really wasn't about either bearing being better but what a person said..who some say is a bastion or stalwart of MOPAR. ..came out with such a mean spirited, incorrect comment..

"for anything other than straight-line (read dragging) use, the Green Bearings are not to be used. " .. and he wouldn't use them in a '61 300g even it it was used for dragging..

I am very comfortable now with our green bearings..thank you all for your input.

Ian.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The use of green bearings was originally to install a spool as the spool has no floating block in it so the axle end play could be adjusted. It really was that simple, so the original intended purpose of the green bearings was for drag use. Do some circle track cars use spools? Yeah, I think some do but I'm not experienced with them.

Can green bearings be used for normal street use? Sure, are they going to last as long as the tapered all things being equal? Probably not but that could still be more than a lifetime.

For what E-berg does with that Valiant I'd use the tapered bearings as well, but I don't think that making a blanket statement like that is right.

But hey, E-bergs has opinions and is entitled to them, and he has a vehicle to espouse them to the masses.

Now that I know his name,I see that he has his fingers i many pots. I googled him but a lot of bizarre references came up for him..or someone with the same name.

Is (has) he been dragging most of his life or what is his specialty ?
Grassy

I have been using the tapered green hybrid bearings for about 6 months now and they are the best of both worlds.Fit perfect in my 8 3/4, No preload problems great side load ratings and best of all they are GREEN:-D:-D:-D Now don't be spreading this info around, I'm doing a stealth testing segment for Mopar action. Article should be in the Aug edition with specs and pics.

ball bearings have less drag..but do wear out quicker in all apps.

Ok,I have heard enough about who can piss the longest distance and how much,great.Bottom line is this,I have both types of bearings on a few of my cars,the 65 chrysler 4500lbs, plus all the beer in trunk and beating the piss out of it and doing 100MPH runs and not a niose or hum.Now can either fail if the conditions are right,for sure,but how many of us are doing slomon racing 24/7,or a nother type of racing to get to the piont of a failure under extreme conditions..The piont of this is if you own a car/truck that you change/modify a part,you check it for wear every week to see if the part is up to par.Me I do some thing every year when I take the cars out,I do a complete inspection,take the jack and check the axles and bearing for any abnormal play up and down and side ways.Its not rocket science,we all have jacks and tools and we are not doing 40,000miles a year on our rides.You can hear a bearing starting to go in a turn,or in a striaght line,if its going with the speed of the car.A good 90-95% of us never even get to the piont of a failure like this IF you check things twice a year on your rides,at the begining and half way through the season.Boys and girls,we need to keep our minds open and deal with reality and try not to listen so much to some of these rags people as they really think they are the mopar gods and every word is the gosspel truth,when most of them are cashing a cheque from a big company pushing other products,probably bearing,mrmopartech

In all my many years of working on Mopars I will make a statement of fact from my past experience. I have seen more rear OEM bearing failures from back yard hacks or people just not knowing how to adjust axle end play and failing to install the axle lock paw or not installing it properly! The tapered A-7 set up is bullet proof IF, installed properly! I have also used Green style for years with no problem and these are probably more user friendly.

I think that SGbarracuda, Guitar Jones, and Mrmopartech have hit the nail on the head. Do any of us just put this stuff in and never check things? Do we put more than 6-10 thousand miles on our cars in a year?

If your like me.....I answer NO to both questions. Then again if your like a friend I used to have, it was a hassle for him to work on his car....not an enjoyment.

sorry

troll-1.jpg

-
Back