Odd crank cap bearing?

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
I'm lining up my ducks to start my motor rebuild. I know the main bearings with the holes go in the block and the ones without go in the caps.
There are 2 cap bearing that are smooth with no holes, while the remaining 3 have no holes and grooves. These are King bearings I got from Summit in a box sealed in plastic. My question is in what order do they go?
My photo illustrates an uneducated guess.

20230905_183616.jpg

20230905_182455.jpg

Thats normal for a reg brg set.
You can get fully grooved mains, or in the "day" we bought 2 sets so we could make a fully grooved set .

The grooved bearings insert into the block.

Regarding the oiling holes, do all of the bearing saddles in the block have oiling holes? I cannot remember, because it's been a while since I was in the bottom of a small block. Also, did the old bearings all have the oiling holes in the block half of the bearings?

I have all the new grooved bearings with oiling holes in the block. The old cap bearings are smooth and the block side are grooved with oiling holes, its just the new odd cab bearing with the groove that's throwing me off.

I'm lining up my ducks to start my motor rebuild. I know the main bearings with the holes go in the block and the ones without go in the caps.
There are 2 cap bearing that are smooth with no holes, while the remaining 3 have no holes and grooves. These are King bearings I got from Summit in a box sealed in plastic. My question is in what order do they go?
My photo illustrates an uneducated guess.

View attachment 1716137949

View attachment 1716137950
If the bearings don't have holes that match up with the oil holes in the main saddles, the top end won't get oil.

Sounds like you got a bearing set with some mixed up bearing halves.

This is the correct way, good instinct.

"The lower main shell has no groove. Therefore its effective area is greater than that of the upper grooved bearing. This design allows distributing the load applied to the lower shell over a greater area, reducing the specific load acting on the bearing material."

Last edited:
The bearings are correct and in the correct location as in the stock confirmation the the 1,2 and 4 bearings are smooth as per the service manual. It also says while the 1, 2 and 4 upper and the 2, 4 lower bearings are interchangeable, the 1 lower is not and has a radius on the front edge.
I read the link "inertia" posted to confirm the reason for the notch.
I also found the the 1,3 and 5 journals have 1 oiling hole, where the 2 and 4 have 2 which is probably why the bearings are configured the way they are.

Any bearing shell that gets installed in the block needs a groove and hole that lines up with the oil hole in the block.

The lower shells(the ones that go in the caps) can have a groove or no groove.

full grrove bearings, into the modern age just like the air cooled vw bug

the king bearings are alecular??? aluminium race bearings, which i belive are a bit harder and supposedly have better dimensional accuracy...??? who knows

hence they are full groove right round without a ware compromise

line up holes and put the other bits in as they fit

they are the only supplier for my motor since ACL went bust, been using a similar set for 10+ years no issues on my long bendy 7 main bearing crank

Dave

-
Back