Odd Noise

-

1972trucks

Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster 340 all numbers car. I had the motor professionally built. The transmission gone through. I have everything installed and hooked up. When I started the car I have a rattle. At first I thought it might be a sticking lifter, rocker, or valve but checked it out and all seem ok. I got to listening to the rattle again and it kind of sounds like it might be coming from the convertor or flexplate as in the bolts hitting something. I used new OEM bolts for both. I don' want to run the motor until I can figure out what the noise is. Any suggestions?

Could be the bolts hitting the CHECK plate, bent flex plate we would assume in such a case.
Get a stethoscope from the parts store and lay down next/behind the front wheel and with you scope... stretch an arm our underneath and have a listen to the bellhousing check plate...starter...oil pan.
You may be able to hear it up top, but see if its louder underneath in order to better pinpoint it .

Ps, the new format is making itreally hard toposts...the text editor on here LAGS and always has..so my words are a jumbled pos...

Last edited:
Are there any marks on the flex plate bolts as evidence that they are hitting? X2 on the stethoscope. Harbor Freight has them for just a few bucks and they work great. I just recently was chasing what sounded to be a valve train noise and the stethoscope found the culprit…fuel pump was coming apart. Replaced. Noise is gone.

Could be the bolts hitting the flex plate, bent flex plate we would assume in such a case.
More likely the flex plate bolts hitting the tin cover, a a distorted cover the culprit - thin metal, easy to bend and not well supported at the top...

More likely the flex plate bolts hitting the tin cover, a a distorted cover the culprit - thin metal, easy to bend and not well supported at the top...
Yep which is what I meant but like I said I'm having trouble with the text editor.
Fk

Also possible that the convertor bolts are hitting the rear cam plug because:
A) it is not installed deep enough, or
B) it is in upside down, or
C) it is the wrong one for the job, or
D) the cam is just banging back and forth in the block, and tapping on it.or
E) none of the above, cuz it's just the windage tray tapping on the oilpan, or the dipstick is rubbing on one of the rods........ lol

I had one where the crank was balanced and the weld holding heavy metal plug in the counterweight was hitting the block.

I have a 73 Duster 340 all numbers car. I had the motor professionally built. The transmission gone through. I have everything installed and hooked up. When I started the car I have a rattle. At first I thought it might be a sticking lifter, rocker, or valve but checked it out and all seem ok. I got to listening to the rattle again and it kind of sounds like it might be coming from the convertor or flexplate as in the bolts hitting something. I used new OEM bolts for both. I don' want to run the motor until I can figure out what the noise is. Any suggestions?
UPDATE. . . . . to all that replied - thank you . . . . most of you called it right. It was the flex plate hitting the transmission cover. I loosened it up. Bent it out slightly and no noise

UPDATE. . . . . to all that replied - thank you . . . . most of you called it right. It was the flex plate hitting the transmission cover. I loosened it up. Bent it out slightly and no noise

-
Back