Odessa heads - take a look.. Looking for input *solved

-
Ok, got a call from the machine shop this morning and I went down and picked up the head. They cut out an outside exhaust seat and inspected what Odessa fixed. They felt the fixes were ok to run and they didn't find any reason to replace the others. They put a new seat in this one and so onward I go.

New Seat
DSCN1326.JPG

DSCN1327.JPG

Last edited:
A BIG thanks to all that commented and gave opinions - much appreciated.

That's great news! I figured the fix was good. but piece of mind is always good.

Yayy! Better than my situation, I got a pair of Eddys off a blown up 360 with like 13 bent valves for *only* $700... problem was they needed all the valve seats cut, valve guides reamed, deck surface milled along with all new valves, springs, retainers, etc etc so I ended up putting about $2000 into them overall including purchase price.

And I still have the issue of having to provide external rocker oiling due to these being LA heads on a late Magnum block... LOL such is life when you mess with Mopars

318wr, did your shop make any comment as to the reasons behind, or specific type of, this repair? Like.... 'we see this all time'... or' 'we would have done it a bit differently'... Just pure curiousity on my part.

318wr, did your shop make any comment as to the reasons behind, or specific type of, this repair? Like.... 'we see this all time'... or' 'we would have done it a bit differently'... Just pure curiousity on my part.
when I brought the heads in, we discussed the usual crack issue on the magnum heads. We cut a seat out as more of a "did Odessa do ok on their fix" exploration. I talked for a bit with the owner and his machinist (both knowledgeable) and we were all on the same page. After cutting the seat and looking at what Odessa did, they figured it was a decent job and really no reason to put more money in doing the other 3 "outer" exhaust seats. They were well aware I didn't want to end up more into the heads than a brand new set of EQ's.... LOL.
  • they said personally for a common head, they just get new castings. They are cheap enough that customers really don't save anything paying for cracked head repair
  • They said it was mostly weld that I was seeing

Last edited:
-
Back