Odessa heads - take a look.. Looking for input *solved

-
Just keep in mind, “they’re junk” isn’t really saying anything.

If you get that kind of report card on them, I’d ask, “why are they junk”?

Just keep in mind, “they’re junk” isn’t really saying anything.

If you get that kind of report card on them, I’d ask, “why are they junk”?
  • There are only a couple of machine shops I'll go to.....
We had a good discussion, he listened carefully as I showed him my concerns and he agreed 100% with me. He gave his professional advice/concerns as well. The one exhaust seat was the worst, so he is going to cut it out and see how bad the crack is/was. It's a starting place. Then, if it's ok, he'll install a new exhaust seat on all 4 corners of both heads.

I have a question about the seats. If valve seat is damaged in some way like in your situation or say its rusted or pitted or dinged or whatever. When they cut the valve seat do they just machine out the whole area and put in a hardened sleeve or something for the new seat?

there you go if you sell them for $300 you'll be over half the way to get some of those Chinese aluminum heads.
you buying my patched up Odessa heads for 300.00 ???

I doubt anyone else would either.....

Now you're going to double down with another couple hundred bucks and work on them!?
We should start a gofundme for those poor heads.

Look at it this way. You paid $300 for the heads Odessa wanted $600. So if you spend $300 on the heads they will be worth what Odessa wanted for them originally. So you really haven't lost any money on them at that point.

LOL.... Now I don't know what thread I'm posting in anymore.... since this turned into the race thread... LOL

Refurbished Odessa heads from Ebay. Been around a while. I didn't order these from Odessa, but I got a good deal on them still New In The Box. Upon "cleaning up a little in the bowl area, I noticed ALL 4 OUTSIDE EXHAUST VALVES have what appears to be a crack and a flick.
View attachment 1715266614
View attachment 1715266615

Just a few Google returns on Odessa Heads. I know some complaints might be buyers/builders fault But the BBB rating is "F". I would stay clear.

Ripoff Report: Odessa cylinder heads - clearwater, Florida Auto Parts

Clearwater Cylinder Head, Inc. | Complaints | Better Business Bureau® Profile

Odessa Cylinder Head Inc / Clearwater Cylinder Head Buyer Beware!! - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Odessa Cylinder Head reviews | Automotive at 5100 Ulmerton Rd - Clearwater FL

I have a question about the seats. If valve seat is damaged in some way like in your situation or say its rusted or pitted or dinged or whatever. When they cut the valve seat do they just machine out the whole area and put in a hardened sleeve or something for the new seat?

afr-9070_w_ml.jpg

They machine out rhe old seat an install these kind ofseats.

Chico probably did the work on the heads instead of Rico. Chico is known for doing subpar work.
when you call ask for Rico, he'll fix ya up. owner/ operator of Havana Heads sister company of Odessa

If they pass a pressure test, I would think they would run. Beyond that.......who knows? I think you are on the right track. Just too bad you are having to "refix" heads that were supposed to be "fixed".

If they pass a pressure test, I would think they would run. Beyond that.......who knows? I think you are on the right track. Just too bad you are having to "refix" heads that were supposed to be "fixed".
the machinist said he could pressure test, but can't simulate the heat the exhaust valve/seat will be consistently receiving while in service.

the machinist said he could pressure test, but can't simulate the heat the exhaust valve/seat will be consistently receiving while in service.

Exactly. And herein lies the dilemma. You just don't know.

The set of heads I got from Clearwater/odessa were garbage! Sent them back and the next set they sent were good, only had to touch up 2 valve seats.

there you go if you sell them for $300 you'll be over half the way to get some of those Chinese aluminum heads.

If they are "junk", selling them to some unsuspecting person would be unethical.........if they are not good enough for you to use, they are not good enough for anyone else

If they are "junk", selling them to some unsuspecting person would be unethical.........if they are not good enough for you to use, they are not good enough for anyone else
You can always sell them to the scrap yard. I'm sure they would be good as daily driver heads but we're looking at this from a performance point of view.

I'm sure they would be good as daily driver heads but we're looking at this from a performance point of view.
Yes, but as I take it 318WR is building them just to race Jadaharabi, so they will probably see kinda limited use. Besides, I somehow trust 318 to get something out of them.... judging by his other threads. :)

You can always sell them to the scrap yard. I'm sure they would be good as daily driver heads but we're looking at this from a performance point of view.

The scrapyard won't take them either, so what's that tell you? :D

Nah, just funnin.

Yes, but as I take it 318WR is building them just to race Jadaharabi, so they will probably see kinda limited use. Besides, I somehow trust 318 to get something out of them.... judging by his other threads. :)
LOL...… Actually, I'm putting together a "faster combo" than what I have and I will race Jahaba with it. But, I use my cars and I never know how far I'll drive them, how often I'll drive them, or how long I'll keep them.

Now I've been known throughout the years to put together some "iffy" combos..... :D ….. but I just cannot walk past a crack repair from a ebay refurbish-er…… LOL

-
Back