OEM PCV Valve & Breather Cap, "65" /6

-

VIOLENT\6

12 second N/A Slant 6?
Reaction score
I can't find the appropriate steel/threaded 90* PCV valve or a proper breather cap for my son's "65" Valiant. It has a 225 /6.

It blows oil out of the breather cap @ maderate hi-way speeds.(there is hardly any fiber wool left in it).

The engine runs smooth W/lots of power. The plugs look perfect.

Although the PCV valve "rattles" it does not seem to be pulling much vacume @ higher engine speeds.

I don't think the problem is blow-by & replacing the PCV valve & breather seem to be the logical 1st step.

Would a copmpression test be difinitve?

What would be the average cranking compression?

Does this engine have an aftermarket chrome valve cover on it? Those things can cause all sorts of trouble, as they are unbaffled.
As for the breather, You could run a "closed" system. Unless your trying to keep everything 100% stock looking. Summit Racing sells a sealed breather with an outlet to run to you air cleaner. Note you need a later model can/or weld a tube to your existing can if you don't already have it.
I would try a compression check; don't worry alot about how much pressure, but check to see that all mesurements are fairly equal between cylinders. About 10-12 psi is a good window for an older motor.
Compression on these things stink......Let's shave it down...8)
BBBanjo

Not to steer you away from this great site, however slantsix.org is a great /6 only site to ask those questions. I belive that was a question not too long ago.
You can use the search function with pcv and breather and catch the results.
Frank

Not to steer you away from this great site, however slantsix.org is a great /6 only site to ask those questions. I belive that was a question not too long ago.
You can use the search function with pcv and breather and catch the results.
Frank

The the stock breather entails is a wire mech to ( filter the air ) if yours is blowing out I would suspect blowby I clean mine ( PCV and breather ) with carb cleaner.

Do a leak down test and check the vacuum under load I had a vacuum leak on one of my 65s that only showed up under load. But odds are you have a bad ( stuck) ring.

-
Back