Oh, the dilemma.... a pair of 440's for 100 bucks....

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Got a lead on a pair of 440's removed from a running boat. Yes they are marine 440's, they have never been apart and we're running a few months ago. Have not ben submerged Still have the velvet drives attached, as well as the exhaust exchangers....

What to do, what to do......

Wife is gonna half kill me when I get home Wednesday evening. They are an hour and change away from me. However, I'll just happen to be 20 min away from them for a work meeting mid day wednesday..... I'll send you the link to my obituary when I recover Wednesday night.....

Have they been run in the ocean? If so they may be very rusted in the water jackets with little good iron remaining. You may end up killing yourself for buying two 440 boat anchors.

Last edited:
Exhaust manifold for chrylser 440 Manufacturer Part # CM-1-5972A

Small / Big Block Velvet Drive Marine Boat Bell Housing 383 / 400 / 440 • $399.99

If the manifolds are good and not rusted there is $1000 of manifolds there and another $750 worth of bellhousings, not to mention the rest of the drives. You might have to sit on it for a while to sell it all.

One of the engines will be standard rotation and easier to adapt to a car than the other. I think the heads are not anything performance worthy. The intakes are marine only, the carb sits at a different angle. I dont know for sure but the cranks might be 8 bolt?

Clean the one up that is a reverse rotation motor and sell it to some boat freak recoup all your money and then some.

years ago, a buddy of mine, Tim B, bought a bunch of Chrysler marine parts from a dealer going out of business. One of the items was a reverse rotation 440 crank. The rear seal knurling was reversed, so if you tried using it in a car engine, it would force the oil against the rear seal instead of away from the seal. Strange, huh?

Got a lead on a pair of 440's removed from a running boat. Yes they are marine 440's, they have never been apart and we're running a few months ago. Have not ben submerged Still have the velvet drives attached, as well as the exhaust exchangers....

What to do, what to do......
uh and you've not bought them why? Heads up, one of the 440s will be a reverse crank and cam. meaning it fires and rotates counter-clockwise. The other should be a normal 440.

(I might be interested in the marine hardware and the reverse crank out of the one)

Yeah - I stay away from marine engines. Even if they were maintained they can be trash in places you just can't see. Plus one should be reverse rotation, so the knurling on the crank goes backwards...

Buy them. Sell the marine stuff to the boat guess and use the cores for future projects.

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm checking them out. As long as they are not froze up, they're coming home with me.

All I can say is...... people.

So the 100 bucks for 2 440 deal didn't happen. Between 2 days ago and today, someone must have talked to the guy about what he had in parts on them. I showed up and the guy starts talking about how much the manifolds and velvet drives are worth. I said I was there with my $100 cash and my truck as discussed the other day. He now wants $400, and wasn't clear if that was for the pair or for each.

Oh well - guess it wasn't mean to be for me. At least I don't have to sleep with them for a week until the wife gets over it....LOL.

I'll tell you what tho - a 440 looks big enough sitting on a pallet. And with the marine exhaust exchangers, those babies looked gen I hemi head sized from side to side.

All I can say is...... people.

So the 100 bucks for 2 440 deal didn't happen. Between 2 days ago and today, someone must have talked to the guy about what he had in parts on them. I showed up and the guy starts talking about how much the manifolds and velvet drives are worth. I said I was there with my $100 cash and my truck as discussed the other day. He now wants $400, and wasn't clear if that was for the pair or for each.

Oh well - guess it wasn't mean to be for me. At least I don't have to sleep with them for a week until the wife gets over it....LOL.

I'll tell you what tho - a 440 looks big enough sitting on a pallet. And with the marine exhaust exchangers, those babies looked gen I hemi head sized from side to side.
that's a bummer

thats a heck of a way to loose a tail light

you did kick in his tail lights on the way out, right?

Dont beat yourself up Ihad a similar problem years ago I ran into a guy I went to high school with been years since I saw him he was an old car guy too. His dad owned a junkyard so he was playing with something and piecing together junk to hotrod ( he had a badass 71 duster at one point) but anyway we got to talking about old cars and projects we had. At the Time I was working on my barracuda I wanted to do a 340 6 pack well we got to talking about that and he said "dad has a bunch of old 440s and 6pac intakes" "come on over and pic one out for 100 bucks" so we made plans to meet at the local McDonald's he never showed I called he didnt answer. A few week later I ran into his brother and I asked him about it and he didnt know what I was talking about he said dad dont have no 440s idk why the guy even brought it up I guess he didnt think I would follow thru. Needless to say I havent talked to him since. Even when I see him he avoids me lol it's been over 10 years ago and he still avoids me lol

-
Back