Oh The Humanity

-
I get a kick out of seeing these tests and watching the cloud of rust blow out of the older car on impact.

I was thinking that they chose the Bel Air for it's A piller. Guaranteed ugly distraction.

I missed the rust cloud too funny

So they were NOT the "tanks" we always assumed

AND NOW, another annoying story from the old days

Before I joined the Navy (evaded the draft) in the spring of 68 I was a "radio operator" for the local PD. Graveyard. "Car 10". On busy summer weekends one other cop would commandeer the fire chief's car and I think it was "28." One REALLY ambitious cop would take on the Cushman meter maid wagon and patrol in THAT!!!!

ANYway the office/ dispatch had a small window looking W which faced the NAPA auto parts across the street where my father worked. At the time (the photo shows this is all changed) the store had a 45 degree inset / cutout with large glass windows, and a HUGE GIGANTIC not to mention large steel pole supporting the CORNER OF THE BUILDING. This formed the entrance to the parts store. Also, I could use this angled glass as a mirror, and at night, look back down main street and see cars vaguely "cruising" on 1st ave

So I'm sitting there one night and I see "in my mirror" that headlights are coming up main to the stop sign right outside the city hall building. I thought "that looks like Danny Lee's 59 Chev." The car stopped, and waited, and didn't move, and then THE DRIVER disappeared "in silhouette" from behind the wheel!!! The thing sat there for ?? many seconds, and I'm beginning to wonder. Then, it began to move, and as it came into the middle of the intersection, now I can look sideways through the window and see it. Came across at an angle, MISSED the big power pole, bumped up onto the curb, MISSED the fire hydrant, AND NAILED THE BIG STEEL POLE DEAD CENTER. Wrapped those great big fenders right around that pole!!! And Danny "woke up" and sat up JUST IN TIME to get his face smashed into the wheel!!!!

I called "Car 10" and Willard Piehl, who was already cruising back to the station, had SEEN IT ALL.

Below, the point of impact. The white object near the stop sign is the fire hydrant, you see the power pole, and the corner support has to be where the arrow points. The building has been remodeled from 1967. At the time this was "Lou's Auto Parts" where my father worked, and on a side note, they held the Johnson outboard franchise, which sort of spawned my current "hobby" LOLOL

cityhallxx.jpg

Looking W towards Lou's auto parts, showing the path of "least resistance." This would be from the "point of view" of non-driving Danny Lee in his tank-of-a 59 Chev

cityhallW.jpg

Below, city hall, pointing out "my window" location of the dispatch office. The street shown is what I could see in the 'mirror' of the building glass. At the time, the white car shown here would be in the reserved parking for the police car(s). (We only had one, mostly) The mayor INSISTED on having a two way radio in his car and was a continuous butt of jokes by the cops, and they (rightly so) saw no reason for the Mayor to have a radio. All he ever did was call "10-8" on his way to work. "In service" The Dakota/ RAM head on would be "Danny Lee" heading towards the field of disaster.

cityhallE.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back